Guys my boat has recently started taking on a little bit of water. I originally thought it was the drain plug leaking so I took it out and reinstalled it with flex seal. It appears to be sealed off, but when I took my boat out yesterday after fixing it, it is still taking on some water. After about 4 hours on the water I ran my bilge pump and it pumped out about 1 minute's worth of water. I'm positive the hull is fine as its a Triton Aluminum with no scratches or dings anywhere. I'm afraid it is a hose, possibly that leads from the intake off the back to the livewell. How do I check this to see? whats the easiest way to identify an aggravating thing like this? I love my boat and it fishes great I just hate the thought of it taking on even a drop of water. I've also been told not to worry that ALL boats take on water to some extent. 

Pug the intake to the livewell on the back of the boat then see if it take on water.

• Like 1

Did you mean plug? If so, how do you do that? Will an actual drain plug fit it? 

Yes plug. It is 1'' just like the drain plug

3 hours ago, RUSS9999 said:

Pug the intake to the livewell on the back of the boat then see if it take on water.

If that fails- then put in the plug and fill the hull with a garden hose on the trailer and watch to see where water leaks out...

• Like 2

I always heard that was dangerous that it can damage the trailer..

The drain on the outside of the boat to the livewell is 1'' too. I would plug it and put water in the livewell to see if it drains out in the hull.

I had an issue with taking on water last summer also and it turned out to be the water inlet on the bottom for the front livewell. Just had to remove it and reseal it with 3M 5200.

1 hour ago, LoweStinger said:

I had an issue with taking on water last summer also and it turned out to be the water inlet on the bottom for the front livewell. Just had to remove it and reseal it with 3M 5200.

I have a feeling it is something very similiar......... 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:17 PM, RHuff said:

I always heard that was dangerous that it can damage the trailer..

You aren't filling it up very much (4"-10" in the transom area probably) it's not leaking above the water line...  figure 8lbs/gal...  if your trailer's max carrying capacity is within 500-800lbs of your empty boat, your trailer is underrated.  Plus you are doing this in your driveway, not running down the highway. 

Did you replace the drain plug with a new one?  Try using some lubricant in the drain plug and see if it can be turned more for a better seal.

My ranger rt178 was taking on water and this solved it.  I think your boat is made on the same line so maybe the same drain plug?  Give it a try to eliminate this as a potential source of infiltration.  

After greasing i was surprised that I was able to get at least an additional half turn in ... which made a huge difference. 

I think I may have possibly found the culprit but won't know for sure until I get it on the water again. I tried running water into the Livewell intake and nothing dripped into the bilge. I then filled my livewell up with water and pulled the plug to let it drain out to see if any hoses was leaking and I noticed that not only was water exiting the drain but it appeared to be seeping from under seal running down the back of the hull. The drain fitting seemed to be on tight and the hose was connected so I tightened it as tight as I could get it and I also added an extra layer of 3M 5200 Marine Sealant around the outside. Hopefully this will fix it. 

1 minute ago, OperationEagle said:

Did you replace the drain plug with a new one?  Try using some lubricant in the drain plug and see if it can be turned more for a better seal.

My ranger rt178 was taking on water and this solved it.  I think your boat is made on the same line so maybe the same drain plug?  Give it a try to eliminate this as a potential source of infiltration.  

After greasing i was surprised that I was able to get at least an additional half turn in ... which made a huge difference. 

I haven't tried it but I sure as heck will. What did you use to grease it with? 

I have a can of Marine Grease from O'Riley's Auto Parts that I use for my trailer bairings and prop that has worked really well. I'll add some of that to the threads on the plug the next time I go to see if it forms a better seal when plugging it in to the hull. I have the little plastic 1" plug that screws into the plastic casing with the rubber seal. 

Well I put the boat back on the water for a few hours yesterday after applying that sealant to all of the hull fittings and to my surprise, still water in the bilge. I'm so frustrated.

I guess I am gonna have to raise the nose of the trailer up as high as i can possibly get it and put a running hose over the drain the floor to fill up the bilge to see if its dripping out anywhere. 

It has to be either something on the hull (fittings or maybe even transom motor bolts) or a hose cracked somewhere. 

Well I did the fill test yesterday. I jacked the trailer up as high as I could get it and ran water through the floor drain to fill up the bilge. I filled it up high enough on the back to pass all of the transom hull fittings and lower transom bolts for the motor to check those. All of those were great except I saw a little drip coming off the bottom on the right side directly under the transducer mount. When I took a closer look I found a tiny hairline crack about a half an inch long right in the weld seem of the transom and bottom. I dried it really good and added a small strip of jb weld over the seam to fill it in and cover it nicely across the margins. When I get home this evening from work I'm going to do the same test again to see if it sealed off the leak. Everything else looked great. None of the hoses nor the livewell appeared to be leaking. Glad I finally figured it out. 

I know the JB Weld won't last forever, and I will eventually have to get it filled in by a welder, but this at least get me through this year. I'm off work next week and I want to fish as much as I can over the next 14 or so days. 

glad you found it... that hairline crack may get bigger when in the lake... the fill test exerts the opposite pressure on the hull- so it's possible the crack is bigger when floating vs filling.  Either way, you plan to have a professional welder run a bead along that seam/crack is the right one.