JustJames

Kayak fishing, fluke, help??

Went out today on kayak caught first two bass on whopper plopper 110 that I pick up two days ago thanks @Bluebasser86for getting me spending money again.

Anyway the third fish I caught on Fluke and this is second time fish swallowed the Fluke both time on kayak. I cut the line and let that fish go since half on the Fluke already in his stomach. I hope the fish survive. I have pulled out hook from bass butt before so I believe he has more chance to survive than I trying to get the hook out.

Now my question is what should I do to prevent this to happen again? Btw I feel the fish on the line is already too late. I don't wanna kill any more fish nor I don't want to stop using Fluke. Any recommendations?

Here you go, and the guy in the video even has a fluke tied on, go figure. 

At least you aren't like me and missed every fish that bit my fluke yesterday. 

• Like 2

I tried that last time and end up the fish breeding pretty bad. It is hard to do it on land and even harder on kayak. Gotta learn how to do that more efficiently.

BTW the first time I knew I didn't fill the fish until I saw the line jump about 30 sec but this time I only waited 10 sec for Fluke to sink and start twisting still fish swallowed.

18 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I tried that last time and end up the fish breeding pretty bad. It is hard to do it on land and even harder on kayak. Gotta learn how to do that more efficiently.

BTW the first time I knew I didn't fill the fish until I saw the line jump about 30 sec but this time I only waited 10 sec for Fluke to sink and start twisting still fish swallowed.

You can try pinching down the barb to make removing it easier if you still can't get it out cleanly. It sounds like the issue is you aren't detecting the initial tap of the bite. I usually work a fluke pretty aggressively so bites for me are pretty noticeable or even visual. But if you fish it slower and let it fall or sit it helps to let it sink on semi-slack line, or you could even try some vibrant colored braid to a leader and watch the line closely. That's what I do for wacky rigging where most of my bites are on the fall.  

• Like 1