Jump to content
tcbass

So this noisy reel needs oil, not grease, correct? w/ video

Recommended Posts

I started a thread asking what type of oil and grease to use for my baitcasting and spinning reels. Currently my Revo Rocket is making this noise (below video) when I cast. It doesn't make any noise when reeling in. My other Rocket is completely quiet and this one used to be silent also.

 

One poster said if it makes noise on the cast it is most likely the needing oil and that is a quick and easy 5 minute job, which I am hoping it is.

 

I am going on a trip soon and only want to oil it if it can be helped. I can do a full reel service once I'm done fishing for the year.  

 

Does this Rocket only need a quick oiling for now?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oil the spool bearings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J Francho said:

Oil the spool bearings.

 

 

Is this this the Perfect Solution you were talking about for degreasing?

 

Can it be found at Walmart, Menards, Fleet Farms?

 

 

IMG_1771.PNG.259cad546ab2ef984ece156324035521.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be able to get it at Lowe's.  Now I just order direct. Wear dish-washing gloves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I used to be able to get it at Lowe's.  Now I just order direct. Wear dish-washing gloves.

 

 

Is the stuff pictured the correct Perfect Solution that you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh yeah. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J Francho said:

Uh yeah. :rolleyes:

 

 

Thanks!

 

 

55 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Oil the spool bearings.

 

 

Do I need to degrease the bearings before I oil them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just put a drop of oil on them, and fish it.  If it still squeals, then a deeper clean is required.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I'd just put a drop of oil on them, and fish it.  If it still squeals, then a deeper clean is required.

 

 

Thanks again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you have dry/dirty spool bearings.  If the Rocket level wind runs back and forth like some other Abu reels during the cast, that could also be the problem.  Take out the 2 spool bearings, soak them in some ether based starting fluid, put them on the point of a pencil and spin them.  If they are quiet and spin for a reasonable time, they are clean.  If not, soak them again and retest.  Put them on a paper towel to allow the ether to evaporate for 15 minutes.  One or two drops of bearing oil and they're ready.  Put a few drops of the oil on the level wind worm gear.  If the reel has a centrifugal brake system, clean the brake drum with a Q-tip with 2 drops of the oil.  These are the parts of your reel that spin at high speed during the cast.  One of them is causing the problem.  All of this takes about half an hour.  Careful when removing the little wire clips that hold in the bearings.  Keep a finger on them while removing so they don't fly off to Neverland.  I'd also oil the bearings (leave them in place while you do it) and level wind, and clean the brake drum in your other Rocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobP said:

 If the Rocket level wind runs back and forth like some other Abu reels during the cast, that could also be the problem.

 

It does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK!  I know zip about Rockets.  But I'd still oil the levelwind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never any hurt in that.  You should see some of schmeg I see in the levelwinds of reel that get sent to me!

I once even got a reel that had a french fry in the crank side!  LMAO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BobP said:

Sounds like you have dry/dirty spool bearings.  If the Rocket level wind runs back and forth like some other Abu reels during the cast, that could also be the problem.  Take out the 2 spool bearings, soak them in some ether based starting fluid, put them on the point of a pencil and spin them.  If they are quiet and spin for a reasonable time, they are clean.  If not, soak them again and retest.  Put them on a paper towel to allow the ether to evaporate for 15 minutes.  One or two drops of bearing oil and they're ready.  Put a few drops of the oil on the level wind worm gear.  If the reel has a centrifugal brake system, clean the brake drum with a Q-tip with 2 drops of the oil.  These are the parts of your reel that spin at high speed during the cast.  One of them is causing the problem.  All of this takes about half an hour.  Careful when removing the little wire clips that hold in the bearings.  Keep a finger on them while removing so they don't fly off to Neverland.  I'd also oil the bearings (leave them in place while you do it) and level wind, and clean the brake drum in your other Rocket

 

 

I warched a instructional video where he put grease in the level wind. 

 

What are you supposed to put, oil or grease?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like oil, grease attracts too much dust and gunk.  You can easily rinse that away with a few drops of oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I like oil, grease attracts too much dust and gunk.  You can easily rinse that away with a few drops of oil.

 

Cool. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X2 with Franco on the levelwind.  Most reels have the opening for the levelwind facing forward and as you reel in line any crap on the line can get flung into the worm gear.  Grease makes it stick in there, oil less so.  I use the same bearing oil on my levelwind worm gear and it doesn't get gummed up as fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, J Francho said:

I'd just put a drop of oil on them, and fish it.  If it still squeals, then a deeper clean is required.

 

 

Dang, still squeals. I oiled up the bearings inside the cover and on the spool.

 

 

So I need to grease the gears and stuff too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it squeaks after oiling the bearings, they either need cleaning or replacement if cleaning doesn't work.  Or if the reel has centrifugal brakes the brake drum needs cleaning and light oiling.  Those are the reel parts that move at high speed during the cast.  Honestly, if you are inexperienced in reel maintenance and aren't comfortable with the process, send it to abteel tech like DVT for a full service.  He can clean EVERYTHING, get it working like new, and replace any part that needs it for a reasonable price.  Knowing it's fixed right is peace of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BobP said:

If it squeaks after oiling the bearings, they either need cleaning or replacement if cleaning doesn't work.  Or if the reel has centrifugal brakes the brake drum needs cleaning and light oiling.  Those are the reel parts that move at high speed during the cast.  Honestly, if you are inexperienced in reel maintenance and aren't comfortable with the process, send it to abteel tech like DVT for a full service.  He can clean EVERYTHING, get it working like new, and replace any part that needs it for a reasonable price.  Knowing it's fixed right is peace of mind.

 

 

I would send it to him if it gets to that but I like to fix things on my own if I can. 

 

It's a Revo Rocket, so I think it has centrifugal brakes. I'll look into the break drum. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is casting fine with just the noise and oiling the bearing didn't help then you need a drop of oil on the brake drum. You can usually tell with bearing because the oil will have an impact even if they need to be flushed.  So put a drop of oil on the brake drum and use a Q-tip or your finger tip to lightly spread the oil over the surface so it is a very tin coat, that should fix the problem and if it doesn't then the bearings need to be flushed or replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smalljaw67 said:

If it is casting fine with just the noise and oiling the bearing didn't help then you need a drop of oil on the brake drum. You can usually tell with bearing because the oil will have an impact even if they need to be flushed.  So put a drop of oil on the brake drum and use a Q-tip or your finger tip to lightly spread the oil over the surface so it is a very tin coat, that should fix the problem and if it doesn't then the bearings need to be flushed or replaced.

 

Any pic of the brake drum? I only see the big metal cylinder when I pull that up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to oil the brake drum.

But honestly you should do everything on page 1 in the link J Franco provided and couple more things not listed on there to both reels.

 

To answer your question, on picture 7 where the white arrow is pointing is the brake drum. Put a couple drops of oil on a Q-tip and run it around the drum. You want to clean any debris and leave enough oil where if you press your finger on it, you are only left with a small finger print and no more

 

On top of everything else on page 1 you should put a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and clean the outer lips of the spool and the reel body where the lips of the spool sit close to (on picture 8 where it says Superfree Bearing you want to clean the circumference of the area between where the i and n are and on the other side where the top of the B is)

Also run a Q-tip with alcohol through the level wind eye. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×