3crows

Shimano spare/replacement brakes source?

Since I have now several Shimano reels that use those red brakes (two nearly new Curado I reels and new Caenan) I was wondering where I could purchase a couple of spare sets? Also, are there any recommended upgrades for these brakes?

Thanks in advance. 

The only source is Shimano.

Delaware Valley Tackle

116 Reid St

Fort Plain, NY 13339

I was hoping that there was a internet parts supplier. Just want a few spare sets and as I mentioned, upgrade parts as well.

11 hours ago, 3crows said:

I was hoping that there was a internet parts supplier. Just want a few spare sets and as I mentioned, upgrade parts as well.

That site I linked does have parts for reels. Search for the reel you want, and it'll show an exploded diagram with parts.

Thanks, I will check into them.

I believe you cannot buy new brake shoes for any of the newer Shimano CVS braking design. I recall reading a response to this question on the Shimano product forum by the Shimano rep Bantam1.  Look carefully at the inside of the cover and you can see why.

3 minutes ago, OnthePotomac said:

I believe you cannot buy new brake shoes for any of the newer Shimano CVS braking design. I recall reading a response to this question on the Shimano product forum by the Shimano rep Bantam1.  Look carefully at the inside of the cover and you can see why.

If you understand just please explain it. Thanks.

I already have a spare set for each reel, they came with them. I just wanted one or two more because I picked up a reel that did not have a spare set. And just because I usually use things until they fall apart.

If you are talking about the Curado 200I I may be wrong. I just looked at mine and it does look like a tiny opening in the red swivel pads where they could be squeezed of.   Any model Curado or Citica before the 200I has the slide on pads and extras came with the reels.   The Curado 70 and Chronarch 150 are a different story.  I just looked at mine and there is no way they come off. I can't believe though that any of them would ever "wear out".  According to Bamtam1 they put hundreds of test hours on the new CVS brake pads and did not see any signs of wear.  With regard to  Shimano brake upgrades, I have been maintaining and upgrading my Shimano reels for 16 years and am not aware of any.  Delaware Tackle may know better than I.   What specific model reel are you addressing?

9 minutes ago, OnthePotomac said:

If you are talking about the Curado 200I I may be wrong.  I just looked at mine and it does look like a tiny opening in the red     swivel pads where they could be squeezed of.    The Curado 70 and Chronarch 150 are a different story.  I just looked at mine and there is no way they come off. I can't believe though that any of them would ever "wear out".  According to Bamtam1 they put hundreds of test hours on the new brake pads and did not see any signs of wear.

Thank you.

The brake system, I am not up to speed, sorry.  But my new Curado 70 has white brakes which are the newest and probably will never need changing. The Curado I uses the red brakes which I believe are said to wear or harden on the braking surface over (a long) time. Since I usually only use two brakes, or none, I imagine it will be an awfully long time before I need to worry about it but my nature is a pack rat and I like having spares for possible consumable items. 

The red brakes most decidedly can be changed. The new white brakes, not sure there.