th365thli

Castaic Lake/Lagoon

I'll be fishing at Castaic Friday, was wondering would the upper main lake or the lagoon be better for bass fishing. I have a 13 foot pedal fishing kayak so I'll be able to get around.

The lagoon will be a lot easier to fish using a kayak. The main lake can get windy and difficult to fish form a small boat. The main lake is full with lots of shore brush down to 30'.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. I have a pedal kayak so I can deal with wind up to a certain point......I guess I'll see on Friday.

Well, went out on the lagoon and got the big ole skunk. Tried everything. The lake was full of weeds, saw a bunch of fry hanging about but no monsters. Super hot day, mostly calm water, will have to rethink strategy.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:18 PM, th365thli said:

Well, went out on the lagoon and got the big ole skunk. Tried everything. The lake was full of weeds, saw a bunch of fry hanging about but no monsters. Super hot day, mostly calm water, will have to rethink strategy.

Define everything? The lagoon usually has a well defined weed line about 20' deep, no weeds in rocks and sand beaches.

Tom

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Define everything? The lagoon usually has a well defined weed line about 20' deep, no weeds in rocks and sand beaches.

Tom

Fished the weeds with a chatterbait, texas rig (didn't have proper punching gear), and a frog. The deeper areas I fished with a football jig and a shakey head with Aaron's magic. Apologies for hyperbole, of course I didn't try *everything* and *everywhere* just tactics that worked for me in other lakes. To be honest there were very few areas without weeds. Even the rocks and sandy beaches had some sort of vegetation. The few areas without weeds I fished football jig and creepers trash fish swimbait.

Mid summer can tough during bright sunny days unless you go finesse on both the lagoon and upper lake. I understand the bite has been around 25' depth using a 3/32 oz nail wright 5" to 6" straight tail dark green and delta dawn worms. 

The upper lake has lots of brush from the bank down to 35' with moss making bottom contact presentations difficult but it's working.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WRB said:

Mid summer can tough during bright sunny days unless you go finesse on both the lagoon and upper lake. I understand the bite has been around 25' depth using a 3/32 oz nail wright 5" to 6" straight tail dark green and delta dawn worms. 

The upper lake has lots of brush from the bank down to 35' with moss making bottom contact presentations difficult but it's working.

Tom

It definitely was a very bright and very sunny day. Thanks for the advice the fishing world needs more people like you. I'm back in the Bay Area but will keep this in mind.

I think you hit the nail on the head. All the presentations I like to use are difficult to implement in the moss and weeds. 

Can you still fish it at night?  I remember doing better at night in the summer time...granted this was 15 yes ago

4 hours ago, camman said:

Can you still fish it at night?  I remember doing better at night in the summer time...granted this was 15 yes ago

Night bass fishing is limited to a few nights a month in SoCal lakes and both the upper and Castiac lagoon have selected nights to fish from 8-12, go online to check dates available.

Definately the way to go during summer nights, it maybe over for this year?

Tom