hls804

Frog/Light Flipping and Pitching Rod

I'm looking for a frog/flipping n pitching rod and I have narrowed it down to two options. I like both the Powell Max 3d 736 and the Dobyns Sierra 735c but I'm not sure if they are good choices. Should I choose one of these rods or go with another option? I have a budget around $220 and want to stay in 7'3"-7'5" range. 

Love my falcon Bucoo sr. 7'4 Heavy. Its way under budget at $129 I believe. I wrote a short review on this rod a week ago here on bass resource. 

Irod Fred's Magic Stick. You won't be dissapointed.

I am a big Dobyns, Powell, Irod fan.  My first choice would be an Irod IRG754 Fred's Magic Stick.

The Powell Max 3D 736 is a nice rod for sure.

As for the Dobyns I own several of Gary's rods and they include Sierras and a Champion XP. The Sierra rods are a bit slower than the Champion XPs.  I realize the Champion XP model DC 735C would be my best suggestion for your use.  It is available in both split and full cork handle depending on your preference. I think that frogs and flipping/pitching are techniques that would benefit the most by a rod with faster graphite.  That rod does cost a bit more than your budget. It runs $260.

The Sierra will work well, I just know how good the Champ meets that need. I say that,  but my wife's frog rod is a Sierra SA 705SF.   My personal frog rod is a Champion XP DC705C. ( I can not fit a rod longer than 7' in my rod box) and it is matched up with a Daiwa Tatula Type R 8-1, it makes a nice combo.  That is just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

I am a big Dobyns, Powell, Irod fan.  My first choice would be an Irod IRG754 Fred's Magic Stick.

The Powell Max 3D 736 is a nice rod for sure.

As for the Dobyns I own several of Gary's rods and they include Sierras and a Champion XP. The Sierra rods are a bit slower than the Champion XPs.  I realize the Champion XP model DC 735C would be my best suggestion for your use.  It is available in both split and full cork handle depending on your preference. I think that frogs and flipping/pitching are techniques that would benefit the most by a rod with faster graphite.  That rod does cost a bit more than your budget. It runs $260.

The Sierra will work well, I just know how good the Champ meets that need. I say that,  but my wife's frog rod is a Sierra SA 705SF.   My personal frog rod is a Champion XP DC705C. ( I can not fit a rod longer than 7' in my rod box) and it is matched up with a Daiwa Tatula Type R 8-1, it makes a nice combo.  That is just my 2 cents.

+1 on the DC 735C XP.  Just picked up one of these last week for the exact purposes OP is looking for and it is fantastic.  I paired it up with a Daiwa Tatula SV, 7.3.1.  I'm am sure there will be more Dobyns rods to come for me.  They can be had for considerably less than retail with a bit of digging.

The Dobyns rods are like potato chips! You can't just have one! :lol1:

Nice combo by the way.

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much for the input, I really think these are all great choices. What about the Dobyns 736c as I already have a M/H rod. Would the 736 serve me better?

The 735C is listed as a medium heavy because it is categorized with Dobyns' heavier flippin rods.  It is a 5 power rod though and fishes as a heavy when matched up with their general casting rods.  I have never handled a 736 but I understand that rod would be more appropriate for the really nasty cover rather than the light flipping duties you are after.  When jumping to the beefier 736 you lose the great tip that the 735 has to cast/pitch lighter lures.