Desync

Yet another "What kayak?" post.

So I've been tinkering with the idea of possibly getting a Kayak for about a year now. Yeah, I thought ok let's just look online and pick one out. Ok, there is a nice one, I like that one also, oh this one is nice. So a year later I'm still browsing thru all the kayaks that are made. I'm ready to stop looking and make a purchase.

What I'm looking for is

Under $1000 (Selling an old truck I got, so whatever I sell it for is what I have to buy a kayak with)

Easy to stand in

A few that come to mind that I've liked so far was.

Pelican's The Catch 120 NXT (Honestly tho the 120 NXT doesn't seem to offer a whole lot more than the regular 120 for the price increase it has)

F&S Shadow Caster (Even tho it's almost 100 lbs)

Vibe Sea Ghost 130

Honestly from just watching youtube videos and looking at pictures online, they all seem to be built about the same. So, anyone got any recommendations? 

My fishing conditions will most likely be my local river, which is pretty huge river and very busy in the summer.

Do you live near any kayak stores? Most of them will have

demo days, or they'll let you demo yaks on non-demo-days

esp. if they are located on a water body/river.

I fish out of a Native Ultimate which is super stable but is

more of a hybrid between canoe/kayak, similar to the 

Wilderness Systems Commander. These are fantastic yaks

that have entry points (older models) under $1k if you can

find demo models, or Craigslist used...

These days there are so many stand-able fishing kayaks on

the market that you can almost take your pick, but for the

money, you want to make the right choice. The best way

is to get some sit-in time whether on the water, or in a yak

store. I got in-store sit-in time before i bought my U12. Been

happy ever since.

Good luck on your search!

I think one of the biggest things you should consider is weight. If you have something which is a complete pain in the rear to load and unload you're not going to end up using it much.

• Like 2

I'm new here but I have the F&S Shadowcaster. So here's my two cents on it:

I wasn't looking to spend a bunch of money and wanted something that was stable enough for me (I'm a pretty fat dude) to be able to stand in. 

I see you already know it's right at 100 lbs. I never really carry it because of this. I have a set up in my garage that's basically a rolling table that I keep it on. The table is the same height as the bed of my truck and when I want to go fishing I just back my truck up to the garage and push the table to the truck and just slide it into the bed. Man this is such a luxury to have. When I'm not fishing I just slide the table and kayak out of the way. When I'm loading it into the truck after I'm done fishing I just back the truck to the water and pick up one side of the kayak and set it on the tailgate, walk to the other end of the kayak and slide it in so that's not bad at all really. If you can't back your truck to where you're launching at go ahead and get a kayak cart because it takes much a man to tote this bad boy around. 

I think the seat is really nice and pretty comfortable. I never really notice or think about the seat while I'm fishing and I feel like that kinda proves that the seats comfortable to me. 

I dont really store anything in the front hatch but if I end up getting electronics that will change. I have a crate that I keep behind me with rod holders on it and I keep the crate and the rods strapped in at all times. There's still room behind the crate for a decent one person cooler too (reaching that would require pulling up to a bank and hopping out and grabbing what you need.) 

I think the kayak gets around good in the water for its size but this is my first and only kayak so I don't have a lot to compare it with. I don't really have far to travel as far as paddling goes when I launch and don't go out on the main river or take it out when the wind gets wild so it's always manageable for me. I don't travel far distance wise but I cover a lot of water (if that makes sense) throughout a whole day of fishing though. 

As far as standing and fishing goes, I'll be honest and say I haven't really done it. I've stood up on it and paddled around but I haven't really bit the bullet and actually tried fishing that way. I don't think casting would be a problem but I just have a vision of me setting the hook and tipping the kayak. I bet when I finally get the balls to give it a try it won't though and I'll be comfortable doing that too. Just gonna find a day where I leave all my tackle in my truck and take only one rod out and give it a try. 

If you have any questions or want some pictures I'll do my best to answer or help out. 

Edited by SpinnerbaitJake
Grammar
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SpinnerbaitJake said:

I'm new here but I have the F&S Shadowcaster. So here's my two cents on it:

I wasn't looking to spend a bunch of money and wanted something that was stable enough for me (I'm a pretty fat dude) to be able to stand in. 

I see you already know it's right at 100 lbs. I never really carry it because of this. I have a set up in my garage that's basically a rolling table that I keep it on. The table is the same height as the bed of my truck and when I want to go fishing I just back my truck up to the garage and push the table to the truck and just slide it into the bed. Man this is such a luxury to have. When I'm not fishing I just slide the table and kayak out of the way. When I'm loading it into the truck after I'm done fishing I just back the truck to the water and pick up one side of the kayak and set it on the tailgate, walk to the other end of the kayak and slide it in so that's not bad at all really. If you can't back your truck to where you're launching at go ahead and get a kayak cart because it takes much a man to tote this bad boy around. 

I think the seat is really nice and pretty comfortable. I never really notice or think about the seat while I'm fishing and I feel like that kinda proves that the seats comfortable to me. 

I dont really store anything in the front hatch but if I end up getting electronics that will change. I have a crate that I keep behind me with rod holders on it and I keep the crate and the rods strapped in at all times. There's still room behind the crate for a decent one person cooler too (reaching that would require pulling up to a bank and hopping out and grabbing what you need.) 

I think the kayak gets around good in the water for its size but this is my first and only kayak so I don't have a lot to compare it with. I don't really have far to travel as far as paddling goes when I launch and don't go out on the main river or take it out when the wind gets wild so it's always manageable for me. I don't travel far distance wise but I cover a lot of water (if that makes sense) throughout a whole day of fishing though. 

As far as standing and fishing goes, I'll be honest and say I haven't really done it. I've stood up on it and paddled around but I haven't really bit the bullet and actually tried fishing that way. I don't think casting would be a problem but I just have a vision of me setting the hook and tipping the kayak. I bet when I finally get the balls to give it a try it won't though and I'll be comfortable doing that too. Just gonna find a day where I leave all my tackle in my truck and take only one rod out and give it a try. 

If you have any questions or want some pictures I'll do my best to answer or help out. 

Appreciate the response on it. Yea the weight is what is killing it for me. I don't have a garage, all I really have is a front porch to store my yak on and I will be transporting it on top of a 1995 jeep grand cherokee.

I did look on Facebook Marketplace last night and found 4 Vibe Sea Ghost 130s, 3 of them for $800, and one for $775. The one for $775 came with a hummingbird fish finder, a Go Pro, upgraded paddle, upgraded seat, and is only located 2 hours away. Really interested in that one. Just not sure which one I want yet. I keep watching youtube videos on them both. The Sea Ghost and the Shadow Caster.

Man that really sounds like a sweet deal. Not really familiar with the sea ghost but it's got a lot of upgrades. 

I really agree with James though, if a kayak is a pain to load up it's so easy to make excuses and just go bank fishing and then you'll be kicking yourself for spending money on something and not using as much as you really want to. I went through this spell from about months 2-6 of owning mine because I didn't have the set up that I do now. 

Just take your time and decide what is right for you in your situation. Whether you have a nice, big kayak with all the bells and whistles or a smaller, bare bones one that's easier to load you'll be able to catch the same fish. 

21 hours ago, James Baur said:

I think one of the biggest things you should consider is weight. If you have something which is a complete pain in the rear to load and unload you're not going to end up using it much.

I've been fishing out of a 36-pound sit-inside Hurricane Santee Sport 116 kayak for the past seven years.

tQLVAn.jpg

It's not designed as a fishing kayak, but out of the eight or nine kayaks I've owned over the years, it's the one I've used for fishing the most. Why? Because it's super light and easy to handle, both on and off the water.

My Santee Sport is a little worn out, now. A couple of years ago, I had to patch the worn-through keel and put a keel guard on it, but, now, the keel guard has worn through. So, I recently ordered and just received a new Pelican Premium Catch 120NXT.

6Fjcc6.jpg

I haven't even gotten the Catch 120NXT onto the water, yet, but I can already tell you that, at 69 pounds, it's way more difficult to move around and load through the flipper glass into my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The hard plastic side carrying handles deflect pretty spectacularly under the weight of the kayak when they're warm from sitting out in the sun. I'm already beginning to wonder whether the increased comfort, stability and function (e.g., the ability to handle bigger water, the ability to mount a fish finder with an in-hull transducer) will be worth the extra weight.

2 minutes ago, PECo said:

6Fjcc6.jpg

I haven't even gotten the Catch 120NXT onto the water, yet, but I can already tell you that, at 69 pounds, it's way more difficult to move around and load through the flipper glass into my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The hard plastic side carrying handles deflect pretty spectacularly under the weight of the kayak when they're warm from sitting out in the sun. I'm already beginning to wonder whether the increased comfort, stability and function (e.g., the ability to handle bigger water, the ability to mount a fish finder with an in-hull transducer) will be worth the extra weight.

That's a nice looking Yak there. That's one of the ones on my list of possible yaks. While the first one you pictured looks like a nice ride, there is just something about the sit on top ones that just really pop out there to me. I'm sure it'll be fun figuring out how to get it loaded / unloaded, but where there is a will there is a way. Will just give me an excuse to buy a trailer then.

One of the many kayaks I've owned was a Hobie Pro Angler. I had to get a trailer to haul that one. But, now, I have a bass boat on a trailer in my garage and don't want another trailer. If the Catch 120NXT is too much for me to handle in my Jeep, I'll have to get rid of it.

Just found a Pelican Catch 120 NXT on FB for $600, said its only been in the water about 4 times.

But also found the Sea Ghost 130 for $800 on there.

Sometimes I hate decisions.

Believe I'm going with the 2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130. Found one on FB for $800. Plus I joined the Vibe Kayak Owners group and man Vibes customer support is top notch.