stk44

Fishing gunk stick

This looks to be a descent way to keep cottonwood seed off the fishing line when there is a bad bloom. When I went on vacation this past May, I was crushing dozens of LM one day in East Harbor of Lake Erie. The following day I believe it was a cottonwood tree bloom that covered the whole lake. It prevented me from fishing the entire day. My baitcaster would backlash every cast because the micro guides were so easily clogged, and even braid with a spinning reel was troublesome.

I haven't tested this, so I'm just throwing it out there, since I haven't heard of anything to combat this. If it's a gimmick I apologize. Just trying to help out. I would probably use this maybe twice per year, but maybe it at least wouldn't ruin my fishing trip.

Here is the link:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mischief_Fishing_Gunk_Stick/descpage-GUNK.html 

• Like 1

I hope it works!  Love it when a smart young entrepreneur sees a problem and devises a unique solution and can bring it to market.

I am glad that I don't have to deal with that for my neck of the woods, but if that's a "gimmick", then it's a darn good one that looks like it does the job it says it will do. It's no frills and practical. Me likey for its intended purpose.

• Like 1

I figure at $5 and under it's worth a try. 

2 minutes ago, stk44 said:

I figure at $5 and under it's worth a try. 

I don't even need one and I felt like I needed to be two of them, lol.

Just now, bigturtle said:

Unfortunately it only prevents cottonseeds from entering your reel, your guides can still get clogged

Correct. The biggest issue for me is when a partially clogged guide is met by the forward motion of a clump of cottonwood seed On the line that was embedded in the reel.