Quarry Man

JDM Finesse Casting Setup

I am looking to add another finesse setup to my arsenal. I currently have a 7' m spinning that is ok, but not amazing. I also have a 7'1" ml spinning that is truly amazing. I fish a lot of finesse stuff, so to me, having multiple finesse rods is justified and necessary. I was originally planning on buying another spinning rod (which i might do down the road), but then I thought of a finesse casting setup. I am most interested in a Major Craft Rod, like the ones on Tackle Warehouse between 100 and 120. there are multiple models, so I'm not sure whats best. I was also thinking of a 2016 Shimano Scorpion 71 in 7.2:1. Would be for drop shots, jerk baits and keitechs. was thinking 10 or 12 lb invisx as line.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the reel.  I wouldn't call 10-12# line finesse either.  I'd drop to 8# line, and go with the 2017 Shimano Scorpion BFS.  I haven't held the rods, but man, they look great and the price is right.

• Like 1

I have been dipping my toe into BFS stuff and really enjoy it.  My main combo is a Phenix PHX682c L/MF rod with a either a Alphas Finesse Custom or a PX68, I am still trying to decide which one I like best.  I also have a Kuying Teton UL trout rod and a Loomis CR721 IMX I use with the same reels.  The Phenix is about in the middle of the other two rods and it is the one I fish the most often.  I generally use it for small weightless/lightly weighted plastics, but also for small hardbaits from time to time.  Weight-wise, I usually never go much below 3/16oz or much above 5/16oz.  The rod is a hoot and while casting down around the lower limit does challenge my thumb, a DIY spool in either reel makes them both a lot more controllable.  

I actually had the Phenix out this afternoon to test some new lures.  At the end of my time I tied on a 3/8oz jerkbait just to see how the rod could handle it.  I whipped it out at random into the lake and this fella was nice enough to bite it. 

ACZolivm.jpg

DcpbMk2m.jpg

I have caught a few fish with it a bit closer to 3lbs and it handles them very well, the rod bends a ton but once it hits the backbone I can easily turn them and get them in quickly.  I was using 8lb floro today and had no issue keeping this on from diving under the dock I was fishing from.  I have only had a single stuck fish with this combo, I was pond fishing and cast into cover I had no business casting into with this rod, so I had to wade in to free her.  But for open water and light cover, I have total confidence for anything my state can throw at me.  

I have a ML Majorcraft Go Emotion rod as well.  It is a bit softer and a bit more powerful than the Phenix, but they are very close in how they fish.  I had bought it for small jerkbaits and other hardbaits, but as it turns out the Phenix covers them well enough to make the MC redundant.

• Like 2

How light is your finesse stuff?  For dropshot 3/16oz weight plus plastic and lure 1/4 oz weight, scorpion 70/71 should handle that just fine. I can cast 1/4 oz Husky Jerk08 on curado70 (#30 braid) further than daiwa SV105 #6 hybrid.

Now if you go below that let say 1/8 oz lure. I'm not brave enough to use curado70 but SV105 can handle that weight with no worry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J Francho said:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the reel.  I wouldn't call 10-12# line finesse either.  I'd drop to 8# line, and go with the 2017 Shimano Scorpion BFS.  I haven't held the rods, but man, they look great and the price is right.

Sorry, i didn't mean finesse i guess, More of a jerkbait small swimbait rod, maybe a little drop shot here and there. Stuff thats a little lighter. Would help me see if i prefer that to a spinning rod. 

2 hours ago, JustJames said:

How light is your finesse stuff?  For dropshot 3/16oz weight plus plastic and lure 1/4 oz weight, scorpion 70/71 should handle that just fine. I can cast 1/4 oz Husky Jerk08 on curado70 (#30 braid) further than daiwa SV105 #6 hybrid.

Now if you go below that let say 1/8 oz lure. I'm not brave enough to use curado70 but SV105 can handle that weight with no worry.

1/4 oz drop shot weight plus a zoom finesse worm is as light as it will get

With 1/4oz weight plus finesse worm you don't really need anything special. I do that all day with my crucial M/F and any of my biatcasting reel.

• Like 1