BrianMRetter

Crankbait & Jerkbait rod opinions

Hey guys

So I have an opportunity to buy 2 rods at a nicely discounted price through my job, Abu Garcia Veritas & St Croix Avid. The 1st rod I'm looking for to handle Squarebills, mid depth cranks, and heavy Suspending jerkbait (Crush 75x, 250MD, Pointer 100XD).  The second rod I want exclusively for deep diving cranks (6th Sense 500DD, maybe 10XD). Here's what my thinking is, Id appreciate your thoughts.

Rod #1: St. Croix Avid X  (7' MH/M)

-Squarebills (6th Sense Crush Flat 75X)

-Mid-depth (6th Sense Crush 250MD)

-Suspending jerkbaits  (LC Pointer 100XD)

Rod #2: Abu Garcia Veritas  (7'11 XH/M)

-6th Sense 500DD

-Strike King 10XD

Are these decent rods for those applications? I'd really like to know what you all think! Thanks : )

The Avid might be a bit long for jerkbaits if you like working them by snapping the tip down, otherwise not bad.  With the Avid, even if you don't live it as a jerkbaits rod, you'll likely find some use. They're great rods.  The Veritas, should be perfect.  I have a 7'6 MH/Winch Veritas that chucks anything up to DT-16S, and 6XDs a mile and 7' Med Winch for shallow running cranks .  I'd imagine that stick being a good choice for the huge crankbaits. I'm a big fan of Veritas Winch and feel like they make fantastic crankbaits rods for the money. 

For your rod #1 applications, I’m using a fury 705cb and really have enjoyed it. The mod-fast tip is excellent. Just a suggestion if looking for other rod options. Never fished an Avid, but heard good things. 

I don't like the same rod for jerkbaits as I do crankbaits, but if you're using it for both and don't mind the longer rod, that one should get it done. 

• Like 1

I know what you mean, but I like to kill as many birds with one stone as I can. What would be a good jerkbait rod, and what other techniques would be suitable along with jerkbaits on the same rod? 

1 hour ago, BrianMRetter said:

I know what you mean, but I like to kill as many birds with one stone as I can. What would be a good jerkbait rod, and what other techniques would be suitable along with jerkbaits on the same rod? 

I use a 6' 8" M/F for my main jerkbait rod. It also works very well for a lot of treble hooked topwater baits, especially larger poppers and WTD baits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1