Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know this reel is billed as a "finesse" reel, but I am wondering if anybody uses it as a general purpose reel. I now use all Chronarch MGL's (have had a Metanium) and I am thinking about getting an Aldabaran to mount onto the new Loomis Conquest 843C rod. It would make for a super light combo. It would be used for topwater, jerkbaits, lipless cranks, Senkos, etc. Most of the topwater baits would be 1/2-5/8. Is this little reel up the task?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am considering the same and too run the same MGL'S, but am thinking of putting it on a Jig and worms set up......No reason it wouldn't handle that weight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rodney Smith said:

I know this reel is billed as a "finesse" reel, but I am wondering if anybody uses it as a general purpose reel. I now use all Chronarch MGL's (have had a Metanium) and I am thinking about getting an Aldabaran to mount onto the new Loomis Conquest 843C rod. It would make for a super light combo. It would be used for topwater, jerkbaits, lipless cranks, Senkos, etc. Most of the topwater baits would be 1/2-5/8. Is this little reel up the task?

I have 10 of them.  I use them for all of my techniques, they handle just fine...  I have braid on one that I use for frogs and big topwaters.  I have 15# Tatsu on most of them and 12# Tatsu on a couple.  15# is the biggest line you can put on them though and not spool yourself on a long cast.  I don't throw smaller crankbaits a lot, but when I do the higher gear ratio isn't a problem for me.  The drag is plenty strong.  I have all 10 of the Aldebaran's paired on Conquest rods, a dream combo to fish with!!!  

2 hours ago, NHBull said:

I am considering the same and too run the same MGL'S, but am thinking of putting it on a Jig and worms set up......No reason it wouldn't handle that weight 

I've used up to 1 1/8 oz flutter spoons and 1oz+ topwates on the Aldebaran's, handled the baits just fine......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, the reel can handle a variety of techniques, perhaps excluding deep crankbaits and

large swimbaits.

 

:party-066:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

I agree, the reel can handle a variety of techniques, perhaps excluding deep crankbaits and

large swimbaits.

 

:party-066:

Yep. 

 

I use Calcutta 400D's for my deep crankbaits and big swimbaits... :thumbsup3: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I throw light T-rigs on mine.  1/4oz (plus plastic) and below.

9 hours ago, NHBull said:

I am considering the same and too run the same MGL'S, but am thinking of putting it on a Jig and worms set up......No reason it wouldn't handle that weight 

I was throwing 3/8oz jig and trailer on mine for a while.  Works like a dream.

7 hours ago, 18RangerZ520L said:

15# is the biggest line you can put on them though and not spool yourself on a long cast. 

True, I had 20# Abrazx for a while and I could easily spool myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez, if a reel of that price can't handle all purpose duties there's something REALLY wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't use such a small reel for WTD topwaters or jerkbaits. These lures cast very well, so you'll be able to cast out just about the entire spool on most days. At the beginning of your retrieve, your spool is small because it has little line on it, so your inches per turn (IPT) are relatively low. At the end of your retrieve, your spool is big because it's nearly full, so your IPT are relatively high. A drastic change in retrieve speed during a single cast will mess with your cadence.

 

IIRC, the difference between a full and nearly empty spool on my Metanium XG (which is a small reel but bigger than an Aldebaran) was around 12 IPT. This drove me absolutely nuts, and I was much happier when I switched back to a 200-sized reel.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×