the reel ess

Use for a slow retrieve vintage spinning reel?

My dad died in May and I have been in a funk ever since. I lost my best fishing buddy ever. I went to our family lake cabin yesterday to make sure the water was off, it hadn't been broken into and to turn the heat on low. I went through some of his tackle and found this rod and reel. They weren't together and the rod looked unused. I put them together and they feel very well balanced. So I thought I'd use the combo in memory of my pop. The rod is a Shakespeare Excursion graphite 6' M, 2 pc., which makes it a great one to pack in the back of the Jeep. For a medium rod it feels pretty stout. The reel is a vintage Daiwa A-130X, 3.7:1 retrieve. It does not have a silent anti-reverse. I think he probably used it for crappie. The spool lists lines from 8-12 lb test. I already spooled it with 10# Trilene XT because I had it sitting around.

What technique would this be suited for, specifically? I was thinking of a dedicated inline spinner rod and perhaps small cranks.

Reel.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the reel ess said:

What technique would this be suited for, specifically? I was thinking of a dedicated inline spinner rod and perhaps small cranks.

Perfect pack rod for these things.  You could also throw some wacky worms, and even rig a bobber and live bait for crappie if you like.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great backpack and small river rod.  Have fun with it and enjoy the memories...

• Like 1

That rod will throw small plastics like grubs, tubes, belly weighted swimbaits like a Reaction Innovation Skinny Dipper, hair jigs and lots more.

• Like 1

This was a nice story also made me a little bit sad but it was nice that you shared the whole experience with us I appreciate that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

That rod will throw small plastics like grubs, tubes, belly weighted swimbaits like a Reaction Innovation Skinny Dipper, hair jigs and lots more.

I know that rod is a bit of an "el cheapo" as my dad would say. I won't expect much sensitivity from it. That's why I was thinking reaction baits. The slow retrieve does lend itself to some finesse presentations. The anti-reverse click will drive me crazy. I'll have to learn to use it with the A-R off.

As an overall rod/reel, it may be older but perfectly functional.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it for most applications which don't demand a particular method (such as frogs in slop or jigging in heavy cover).  BECAUSE it belonged to your dad, I'm sure every fish you catch and every outing you take with it will be special.

• Like 1

Hearing your story made me get choked up.  My dad died in May of 2015 and he was my fishing buddy too!  He taught me everything and I was fishing with him from the age of 3 up until a few weeks before he passed (he was fishing by himself (I had work and he was retired) only 3-5 days before his sudden passing).  It's not easy but time will heal your grief and then what you'll start to remember is how much fun you had with him.  Those memories will never go away.  Using that rod and reel will create new ones that I am sure your dad will be watching down on and a part of.  Use it for grubs, tubes, small plastics, and maybe even small jerkbaits.  It will be a lot of fun to use and I'm sure your dad would be proud knowing you are still putting that "el cheapo" to good use!  Best wishes on the water!

• Like 1

Honestly I had a very similar experience when my father unexpectedly died two years ago. I had just found out that my wife and I were pregnant with our first child after nearly three years of trying, and he didn't even get to hear he was going to be a Grandpa.  Kicked my butt and still does to this day watching my son grow up. 

Going through the estate I found one of his trusty Zebco 33's from the early 60's that he used for literally everything, and I rebuilt/cleaned/lubed it.  I slapped it on a rod I had recently built for him and I use it extensively now for all kinds of techniques.  I actually enjoy it so much that I hopped online and have added four more vintage 33's to the herd and use them for everything from slinging livers for catfish to pitching texas rigs at largemouth.  Gear ratios are a bit low at around 3.6 but they work just fine if I accept the fact that I am not KVD.

From my own personal experience, I wouldn't recommend overthinking what type of fishing that rig will be best suited for.  Did your dad have a favorite lure? Fish that.  Do you have a favorite lure?  Fish that.  You will be shocked and amazed how much more it means when you pull a fish out with that thing.  It doesn't matter what the fish looks like or what kind it is, when I catch it with my daddy's old 33 it drums up a satisfaction and happiness that I can't describe.

I am sorry for the loss of your father, but I am excited that you have the opportunity to catch a fish on that rig.  Don't be surprised if the water works start flowing when you thumb that first lower lip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZebcoZak said:

Did your dad have a favorite lure? Fish that.  Do you have a favorite lure?  Fish that. 

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know why I didn't think of that. My dad almost exclusively used 6" curly tail worms and crankbaits. He used to say other baits were designed to catch fishermen. And since he had great confidence in those two, he used them quite well. So I guess the thing to tie on would be a light T rig. :)

35 minutes ago, the reel ess said:

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know why I didn't think of that. My dad almost exclusively used 6" curly tail worms and crankbaits. He used to say other baits were designed to catch fishermen. And since he had great confidence in those two, he used them quite well. So I guess the thing to tie on would be a light T rig. :)

Now you're talkin'.  That sounds like the right way to go in my opinion.

As far as the loud anti reverse, my Zebco's have the same thing, and sometimes I like to keep them on, sometimes I turn them off.  Learning to fish without it on took almost no time.  Just remember to keep a good grip on the reel handle when you set the hook.  I typically always flip it on if the fish seems like it has some shoulders.  Gives me more confidence that the drag will do its job correctly.

Good luck out there.

• Like 1