I have a 2003 150hp Mercury XR6, I was taking the lower unit off to replace the impeller. I noticed a cable going from the top to the lower unit with a silver clasp in the middle of the cable, I can not take them apart, does anyone know how to get this apart??? I do not have a service manual and have tried YouTube to see if I can find out on there. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures would be helpful. What kind of cable? Or is it a hose?

I think it's a ground cable. Should bolt somewhere on the lower unit. 

It’s more I believe a hose and should have said hose to begin with

Possibly the speedometer hose. Is it toward the front of the foot around the shift rod?  I'm not sure about your clasp though. I will need pics or a better explanation of it to help

3E24D5A5-E1F3-414A-A226-0391690693D6.jpeg

This is what I was what I need help with 

Looks like a push/ pull quick disconnect fitting. Call your local boat dealer and maybe they will have a service tech help you. Basically you push the round nut forward then pull it back.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Its a simple quick connect compression fitting like tom says. Push the two metal rings on each side in together. Once they compress you can pull the hose out. Don't have to do both sides. Just push in the metal ring and then pull the hose out. Sometimes they are a little tough

• Thanks 1

Wow, thanks WRB and riverbasser for the tip. I’ll try doing it and hopefully get this project done. As far as the local boat dealer, the parts guy said we don’t normally have a tech talk you through it but give me your number and I’ll have him call you, this is day 3 and still waiting to hear back, this is of course the same place that I have been getting all my parts from to do all my projects, I guess I’ll be looking for a new parts place. 

• Like 1

I would no longer do business with them. My local tech guys where I get my parts from always walk me through stuff and even tinker with the boat and don't even charge me sometimes.