PECo

Broken Hitch Receiver Lock

Yesterday was the last decent day for open water fishing that we’ll get up here in Connecticut for a while, so I planned to tow my boat down and fish the lower, tidal section of the Housatonic River for striped bass. When I went to put the hitch into the receiver on my Jeep, the dogbone lock on the hitch receiver was frozen! :censored: The less than one year old, supposedly stainless steel, thoroughly WD-40ed lock:

FF42MB.jpg

The key would turn fully, but the pin wouldn’t disengage and pop out from the end of the lock. I tried giving it a fresh shot of WD-40 and jiggling the pin with the key, but the tip of that :badlanguage: just broke off in the lock:

uuZUFm.jpg

Yes, I probably shouldn't have yanked on it with pliers. :embarassed2:

Now, how would you remove a broken hitch receiver lock? Cut it with a reciprocating saw, a grinder or a torch? That's what I was thinking, until after lunch, when a buddy reminded me that I have a 45 ounce deadblow hammer. It took only a couple of minutes to figure out the right angle to hit the lock, but, when I did, it popped right off :dancing-baby::

ghqQFC.jpg

When that hammer was given to me, I thought that The Mighty Mjolnir was a little bit too much for me. Now, I feel kinda manly, or godly, even. :Viking: I really wish that my wife weren't out of town on a business trip! :romantic-dinner-049:

Of course, I woke up, this morning, to the sound of snowplows clearing snow from the road in front of my house:

h3YJDC.jpg

And a couple of buddies who actually made it out onto the river, yesterday, boated almost 100 fish, including one keeper! Stupid lock. . . . :sad-012:

• Like 1

That really stinks.  Rich Z has been reporting good fishing up there as well.

Just now, J Francho said:

That really stinks.  Rich Z has been reporting good fishing up there as well.

:lol-045:

Rich is the buddy who reminded me about the hammer. He's also the one who caught the keeper. Of course.

• Like 1

The man, the myth, the legend!

7 minutes ago, J Francho said:

The man, the myth, the legend!

I always chuckle when I meet fishermen who don't believe his reports. They can't accept that he's so much better at catching fish than they are. But he really is. :ok-wink:

• Like 1

I had a SS one rusted once.  Cut it off with a grinder.  Now I only install the lock when the hitch is in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, S Hovanec said:

I had a SS one rusted once.  Cut it off with a grinder.  Now I only install the lock when the hitch is in.

That’s the new plan. :thumbsup3: