Polarkraft05

determining boats resell value?

How do you guys determine a fair price for a used boat? In this case wanting to price my own boat for potential sale. Hardly any listed for sale in my area so don't have any comparisons. 

Is nada accurate? I know its usually close for cars and trucks, but not sure about boats. Seems boats have a odd market and price variations. 

The boat I am speaking about is a 2005 Polarkraft pb175, with a 2001 Mercury 125HP 2 stroke. 

Does have a dented up bottom so I will have to deduct for that, but not sure where to start. I bought it cheap because of the dents and plan to fix them before sale (will still disclose it though) and I added the engine. 

I used NADA to determine retail value of a used boat that I purchased last November. The boat, motor, and trailer all different years, 1998, 2015, 2002 respectively. I found NADA's price range to be a good reflection of the fair market value. Key is to be very specific and inclusive when listing the boat's equipment and options when using NADA'S appraisal process. Not sure what to say about the dents in terms of impact on value, but if I was a potential buyer I would rather see the dents to determine if the hull integrity was compromised. Repaired dents leave me wondering if there is hidden damage or cracks. Just my two cents worth. 

I have found one other one listed for sale by googling, listed at $7000 

nada has is from $6200-7200

Just surprised to not see any others for sale anywhere. 

And I see what you mean about the dents, but I am fixing them for my own use, and next owner will get a large discount off of retail price because of the dents. Not looking to fix, hide, and pawn off on someone. Looking to fix and use, and sell disclosing everything about the boat, and sell it as a beat up boat to use not a show boat. The boat is a great boat to use as a boat and not worry about dinging up, and the price will reflect that. I bought it cheap and will sell it cheap, just didn't know what it would be worth with adding the outboard and putting everything back together. 

Thanks for the help, was mainly just wondering if nada was something people used for used boats, or if there was a better way to research. 

What's the overall condition? If it's in good I'd bet it would go around $9k

I m not doubting your abilities or integrity with fixing the dents.  Just a bit reluctant to trust a seller who is a stranger. Guess I've been burned too many times buying used vehicles, but that's just me. Another guy may not wince at all. I do appreciate your honesty in telling the buyer so that may well get you a quick sell. 

On 2/6/2018 at 3:45 PM, Joseph B. said:

I m not doubting your abilities or integrity with fixing the dents.  Just a bit reluctant to trust a seller who is a stranger. Guess I've been burned too many times buying used vehicles, but that's just me. Another guy may not wince at all. I do appreciate your honesty in telling the buyer so that may well get you a quick sell. 

I understand that side of it too, but it is being fixed for me to use it. I will keep the boat for quite awhile unless a really good deal comes along. If I were ready to sell asap I woudn't fix the dents. 

and the dents can be seen from both sides.