iceintheveins

Anti Reverse On a Baitcaster Occasionally Slipping After Fast Retrieve

I'm sending this reel into Mike at DVT to see if he can fix it, but I'm curious. Does anyone else know what could cause a baitcast reel's anti reverse to very occasionally slip after a prolonged fast retrieve? I have this problem with a Bass Pro PQ and now a Shimano Curado 200E. I have changed the clutch in two reels and this didn't fix the issue. I thought maybe too much oil, so I gave the reels  a very thorough flush and then re - lubed with a very small amount of oil and grease. Didn't fix the problem either. What gives?

Interesting, my PQ does the same thing. I cleaned and re lubed, waiting for ice out to see if it makes a difference.

If you put grease in the anti-reverse bearing, that is likely the problem. Clean it well, reassemble and lube with a couple of drops of oil on a q-tip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, .ghoti. said:

If you put grease in the anti-reverse bearing, that is likely the problem. Clean it well, reassemble and lube with a couple of drops of oil on a q-tip.

Nope, no oil or grease on the bearing or bearing  sleeve.

The AR clutch bearing is pretty straightforward. They can be tough to completely clean depending on circumstances. The only other step is replacement. If you need a hand with either or both let me know. 

I've had reels do this after a few seasons of really hard fishing with braided line, I think one was an Abu and the other a Shimano. In both cases the remedy was to replace the anti reverse bearing

No grease and just a drop if that of oil ..clean it well first some AR work best dry depending on the race and cage