Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Has anyone used this rod for chatterbaits.  I have a Dobyns 736 glass that I don’t like because of the balance.  I have a swing fire but the rod is too soft to set the hook.  I like the glass action of the Dobyns for hook ups but it just don’t feel quite right. Hard to describe. Thanks in advance.  Good fishing!

Also are there any other glass options that are good and have some sort of cork handle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papagravey said:

Has anyone used this rod for chatterbaits.  I have a Dobyns 736 glass that I don’t like because of the balance.  I have a swing fire but the rod is too soft to set the hook.  I like the glass action of the Dobyns for hook ups but it just don’t feel quite right. Hard to describe. Thanks in advance.  Good fishing!

Also are there any other glass options that are good and have some sort of cork handle?

I'm getting in a m/m expride tomorrow and can share my thoughts soon along with using a chatterbait... Not quite what you're looking for but maybe it can offer an idea.  The mh/m would be more suited for the chatterbait based on guides I've seen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Riazuli said:

I'm getting in a m/m expride tomorrow and can share my thoughts soon along with using a chatterbait... Not quite what you're looking for but maybe it can offer an idea.  The mh/m would be more suited for the chatterbait based on guides I've seen.  

That will help out a lot. I’m just trying to find the perfect chatter rod for me.  I was thinking of getting the medium heavy also. Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papagravey said:

That will help out a lot. I’m just trying to find the perfect chatter rod for me.  I was thinking of getting the medium heavy also. Thanks in advance 

If you want the expride then I would go with the MH Glass for chatterbaits and moving baits in general as that is what that model is better suited for.  I'm going with the Medium glass because I'm more interested in a cranking rod that isn't as stiff as a MH.  

 

Here's a description of the MH Glass expride: "72MHG The 7’2 Medium-Heavy Glass Composite rod is really going to shine when fishing cover with moving baits. With a higher percentage of carbon material going further up the blank, it has the power to get fish headed your direction. Whether throwing a chatterbait, a lipless crankbait, or even a swim jig, every fisherman will appreciate the versatility of this rod when it comes to fishing docks, grass or wood. It can also easily pull double duty as a 10 to 20-foot crankbait rod. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St. Croix also makes rods that are MH/MF that are also suited for spinner/chatterbaits.  In your current price range, the LTB series would be the best one to go with.  

 

The Expride uses composite glass.  I was in a toss up between the LTB and expride and went with the expride due to looks, the fact that it's composite glass which is said to be better suited for cranking due to having a more parabolic bend while having the graphite for backbone to pull fish out of cover, and because I'm pairing it with a Shimano reel.  The st Croix models have much better warranties, but that was something I was willing to forego as I take good care of my rods, and if there's a defect, I should find out within a year.  After a year, shimano will take 50% of retail for a new rod and give you free return shipping for a broken rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like or recommend anything less than a fast taper for spinnerbaits.  It might be nice to cast, but setting the hook is most important, and a faster taper is going drive that large hook home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×