Dtrombly

One rod for all things reaction

Hey all, one of my goals for this year is to simplify my rod arsenal, I'm looking for one rod to cover all of my reaction/moving presentations. Here's my breakdown of how this rod will be used.. 

50% spinnerbait. 3/8 and 1/2 oz

20% jerkbait. 3/8 and 5/8 oz

20% topwater. 1/2 oz spooks 

10% squarebill. 3/8 oz 1.5 size 

I'm guessing my best bet is going to be something like a 7' MH/MF casting rod. I've narrowed it down to 2.. Dobyns Fury 7' MH/MF cranking and the Daiwa Tatula XT 7' MH/R Glass rod. What do you guys think... can it be done or should I be looking at 2 separate rods to cover this? 

For me, the spinnerbait is the odd one out of the group. I have the dobyns fury 705cb (MH/MF) and it handles jerkbaits, topwater, squarebills, and medium diving cranks just fine. Pretty versatile rod.

43 minutes ago, 5by3 said:

For me, the spinnerbait is the odd one out of the group. I have the dobyns fury 705cb (MH/MF) and it handles jerkbaits, topwater, squarebills, and medium diving cranks just fine. Pretty versatile rod.

It is for me too, though it's my most used moving bait. Do you think the 705cb has the backbone for it? Dobyns website has spinnerbait under "secondary applications" for the fury 705cb

I'd go with a mh/ mod fast for all but the spinnerbaits. I throw them on a worm/jig rod. 

• Like 2

The 705CB Champion is my do everything moving bait rod. I love that rod for all around purposes. 

• Like 2

Imo, I probably wouldn’t throw a spinnerbait on my fury 705cb. I’m not saying you can’t do it, but I think there are better options like a standard MH/F rod. The 1/2oz spinnerbait might be a bit too much for it.

• Like 1

All lures are reaction lures...bass see's lure...bass reacts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Using a 7'4" St. Croix Bass X MH/MF for Spinner baits and chatter baits 3/8-1/2.  Absolutely love it.

• Like 1