Justin L.

Jon Boat Reservoir Rig

I just got a 14ft jon boat that is decked and don't really know how much more weight I can put on the thing.  Ive got a 55lb thrust endura c2 on the back, and a 45lb thrust edge on the front.  How many batteries would I need to run the boat for a whole day? I've got one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nautilus-31-Deep-Cycle-Marine-Battery-31MDC/205309650

which weighs about 50lbs

and also a: 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-xps-power-series-12-volt-marine-agm-deep-cycle-battery

that weighs 63lbs...

How many more batteries could I put on my boat? 

Also, Ive read that running them in parallel will increase their efficiency, so ideally I would have two for the back, and two for the front? 

Thanks guys.  Im completely lost.

I used to have a 14' decked jon boat with a 9.8 merc on the back. I don't know how much it weighed, but I could run a 12 volt trolling motor all day on one battery, and I never ran out of juice.

• Like 1

The answer to your question about how many batteries you need depends on a lot of variables.  Do you travel a lot on the reservoir and are on the TM a lot or do you anchor places? Do you fish on windy days? Best way to find out how many batteries you need is to go out and fish the way you fish normally with 1 battery and see how long you can fish on that one battery. If you need more batteries you can always buy more.  I can't speak to hooking batteries up in series. That is something for someone else to answer. 

When I ran my 2 man pvc boat (alone) I fished water that was between 100-300 acres.  I had a 46lb thrust TM and on some of the lakes, I trolled for crappie.  I always made sure I maintained my 1 battery and that it was fully charged.  There were rare occasions I limped in on low power.  I could take a second battery if it was just me and swap if the 1st ran low.  I didn't wire them together because that put all the weight in the back of the boat.  I would think with a Jon you won't have any weight problems.  I also note you have 2 TM's.  I used to see TM only tournaments where there were 3 TM's on their boats, 2 in back and 1 up front.  

3 hours ago, S. Doolittle said:

I used to have a 14' decked jon boat with a 9.8 merc on the back. I don't know how much it weighed, but I could run a 12 volt trolling motor all day on one battery, and I never ran out of juice.

I wish I could therow a gas outbord on the back, but almost all of the places around me are electric only rez's. 

I would run 2 for the rear motor and one or the front.  I ran a 15 1/2 foot Polar Kraft as a reservoir rig. I had two of the Endura 55s on the rear with 4 batteries (2 banks of 2 each per motor) and 1 located under the front drivers seat just for the front trolling motor.  Each one of the 4 rear batteries was a group 30 high capacity lead acid battery. The front was a high capacity Group 30 Cabelas AGM battery.  That allowed me to run all over the reservoirs when I fished them. I had two batteries in the rear area of the boat and they were hooked up with two more batteries located just in front to of the rear bench and finally the front one was under the seat. Hre are a few picsHPIM0466.JPG.cb1aaf2cbe4c67d51fb1877a5cc841d8.JPGHPIM0447.JPG.6de1ed0c70d561fb73ee3e872837780c.JPG

I hope that helps a little. remember your batteries ARE your gasoline, without enough of them you are paddling!

2 hours ago, Gundog said:

The answer to your question about how many batteries you need depends on a lot of variables.  Do you travel a lot on the reservoir and are on the TM a lot or do you anchor places? Do you fish on windy days? Best way to find out how many batteries you need is to go out and fish the way you fish normally with 1 battery and see how long you can fish on that one battery. If you need more batteries you can always buy more.  I can't speak to hooking batteries up in series. That is something for someone else to answer. 

On my old 12ft jon(no deck) I used those two batteries, and even on a slightly windy day, I could fish for maximum of 8hrs.  I usually gun it to this one spot on the endura c2 55lb, at the highest setting, which takes about 40min.  Going to that spot, then back to the ramp will drain one battery, and the other battery is for moving from spot to spot. 

Total weight of that rig was approx. 530ish lbs. (me, friend, batts, and gear).

So given that the 14ft will have added weight from the deck the bow-mount trolling motor, and more batteries if I need them to fish longer.  I'm thinking that; more weight=less speed=longer time it takes to get somewhere, thus the batteries will not provide sufficient power to even fish 8hrs.  

So how much "weight" can I actually put on the boat?  Because If i can put 4 or 5 batteries on there, then I guess I should be good?  Phew I know that was a lot, Thanks guys. 

18 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

I would run 2 for the rear motor and one or the front.  I ran a 15 1/2 foot Polar Kraft as a reservoir rig. I had two of the Endura 55s on the rear with 4 batteries (2 banks of 2 each per motor) and 1 located under the front drivers seat just for the front trolling motor.  Each one of the 4 rear batteries was a group 30 high capacity lead acid battery. The front was a high capacity Group 30 Cabelas AGM battery.  That allowed me to run all over the reservoirs when I fished them. I had two batteries in the rear area of the boat and they were hooked up with two more batteries located just in front to of the rear bench and finally the front one was under the seat. Hre are a few picsHPIM0466.JPG.cb1aaf2cbe4c67d51fb1877a5cc841d8.JPGHPIM0447.JPG.6de1ed0c70d561fb73ee3e872837780c.JPG

I hope that helps a little. remember your batteries ARE your gasoline, without enough of them you are paddling!

This does definetely help, Thank you! 

11 hours ago, Justin L. said:

Also, Ive read that running them in parallel will increase their efficiency

Not sure about efficiency but running them in parallel (assuming identical batteries) will keep the voltage the same and basically double the current capacity, and therefore the running time. On the downside, it will also double the weight....

I fish the same reservoirs your talking about. I run  with similar to what fishkamp used to run.two Minn kota 55s on the back a 50lb edge on the front. Have big fresh deep cycles for each. I assume you are on prettyboy liberty and or loch raven.the loch isn't much trouble you can get just about anywhere you want and fish all day. What you can't do is go to the back of Hampton then the back of perces etc. Pick  arm of the lake fish it and work your way back. Liberty and prettyboy are a little trickier. A lot of good fishing in ON is close to the ramp. The ramp cove itself can be real good in spring. You'll just have to experiment and see how far you can go .

Justin if you ever want to meet up I would be happy to try and help you. I rigged that boat for Pretty Boy and Piney Run. Both are fun to fish.