Sign in to follow this  
Hammerdown

Help choosing a spinning rod

Not a spinning reel guy ,but got a tatula 2000 spinning reel for my girlfriend. Trying to figure out what rod to pair it with will be used for Texas rig worms,3/8 jig and jerk baits. $200-150 price range 

I vote for the Dobyn's Fury 663SF - shorter rod to help with jerkbaits, M/F action strong enough for light jigs. If you want 7', go for the 703SF.

Why not match the reel with a Tatula rod?

Tom

• Like 1

Tatula Elite 

19 hours ago, WRB said:

Why not match the reel with a Tatula rod?

Tom

I didn't get the Tatula finesse drop shot rod because I gather the tip is super light and not extremely durable. Now, it's a ML rod, but the number of complaints where people broke the tip on a 2lb fish, sent it back, broke it again, sent it back and broke it again raised a red flag with me. People just don't have that problem with say the Avid X (what I'll be buying instead once the money comes in)

If I could get my hands on one, that might change my mind.

The Brent Ehrler Dropshot rod however might work, but living up north, I'm looking more for a ML and it's a little more than I wanted to spend.

• Like 1

I just got BP Carbon light 2.0  7ft 6 medium with a fast action.Strong light and sesitive . my new go to on the river for Smallies.Really worth a look.

4 hours ago, Boomstick said:

I didn't get the Tatula finesse drop shot rod because I gather the tip is super light and not extremely durable. Now, it's a ML rod, but the number of complaints where people broke the tip on a 2lb fish, sent it back, broke it again, sent it back and broke it again raised a red flag with me. People just don't have that problem with say the Avid X (what I'll be buying instead once the money comes in)

If I could get my hands on one, that might change my mind.

The Brent Ehrler Dropshot rod however might work, but living up north, I'm looking more for a ML and it's a little more than I wanted to spend.

Well that sucks!

I use Major Craft MH 7' fast spinning rod for what you are looking for and caught bass over 5 lbs with no issues. Not home to look at the rod number.

Tom

• Like 3

Check out the Phenix Feather rods.  Cheaper than they should be, they felt like a $200+ rod in hand, and Vince said in testing they were able to pick up a 5kg(~12lb) weight  at a 90 degree angle with it.  Also their spinning rod has this arc-shaped "palm rest" that sits over the top threads that makes it comfortable to hold.  I'll probably be getting one at my local tackle shop's annual sale in April.

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Well that sucks!

I use Major Craft MH 7' fast spinning rod for what you are looking for and caught bass over 5 lbs with no issues. Not home to look at the rod number.

Tom

The Major Craft rods seem to also have a deeper handle, which I prefer as well.

Bottom line of all this is there are a lot of rods to choose from.

Depending on your price range, IMHO, the best bang-for-buck

is in the $100-130 range where you'll find the BPS Carbonlites, 

Abu Garcia, St. Croix Premier, etc.

I have Carbonlites in original black, and the white models. They

are super light and very sensitive. I prefer shorter rods, and

like shorter varieties in the St. Croix Premier lineup.

Take her to Bass Pro or Cabelas with the reel and try it out on

several rods. See what she "likes" and doesn't "like"....