Grouper999

Trout rod and reel

Hi guys,  I was wondering what real and rod you would recommend for trout fishing.  My budget for the real would be around $200. My budget for my rod would probably be somewhere below $150. I will be catching  mostly small Trout trout but,  under 18 inches but occasionally I will be catching much larger ones as I have  28 inchers  in the place that I am fishing at.  I was thinking a size 15 or 25 reel,  and a 6-7 foot rod with the action that you guys recomend.  I had some ideas,  such as the Quantum Smoke S3 Spinning Reel in size 15-25 and the fenwick eagle spinning rod size 6 foot. Tell me what you think and give me some recommendations if you want👍👍

I generally go with cheaper light or ideally ultra light rods and reels for trout, so I have no recommendations for you but I would definitely go with an ultra light rod and a size 1000 reel with 4lb test for trout. That puts up the best fight and you can still feel the tap tap tap from the little ones.

I'd pass on the ultra light gear.  You mention 28", so that's scraping double digit weight territory, and UL gear has no business.  Something at least 7', I'd prefer 10' rod with a ml/mod rating and a 3000 series spinning reel, or if you're going to commit to float and drift methods, a centrepin reel.  Use 8# main line, and 4-8# fluoro.  Raven makes some nice floats and other terminal tackle.

Good luck.

For reference, the cork on the rod is 21", minimum keeper size here.

bigSteel.jpg.50eee1ef11fcad89341230d6714

Sea Trout or FW Trout?

If salt water St. Croix has a few lighter inshore rods. 

I truly appreciate this thread. I tried my hand at fly fishing last year on the Snake in Idaho. As awesome as the scenery was— I was bad to that level.  I can comfortably finesse fish, so my next trip will be with a 2-3 piece spinning rod and appropriate reel. Taking note of the responses. Thanks, again, for the knowledge. 

1 hour ago, WSOzzie said:

I truly appreciate this thread. I tried my hand at fly fishing last year on the Snake in Idaho. As awesome as the scenery was— I was bad to that level.  I can comfortably finesse fish, so my next trip will be with a 2-3 piece spinning rod and appropriate reel. Taking note of the responses. Thanks, again, for the knowledge. 

Don't give up on fly fishing! I haven't learned it yet either, but it's a bit different than conventional. My friends who are good at it absolutely love it.

I agree with Boomstick you don't need expensive gear for trout. Using half your budget or less would get you nice gear. The same goes for fly fishing.

56 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

Don't give up on fly fishing! I haven't learned it yet either, but it's a bit different than conventional. My friends who are good at it absolutely love it.

My friends, too! I’m just too darn old to erase muscle memory! lol. You know, to be serious, I did not take a lesson when I had the chance. Tried to be a YouTube learner. Then, on the float boat, I had a very patient and experienced fisherman help me out. I’d try again, but I would want a ‘plan b’ ready to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WSOzzie said:

My friends, too! I’m just too darn old to erase muscle memory! lol. You know, to be serious, I did not take a lesson when I had the chance. Tried to be a YouTube learner. Then, on the float boat, I had a very patient and experienced fisherman help me out. I’d try again, but I would want a ‘plan b’ ready to go.

Yeah by no means don't give up your plan b.

I have two St. Croix's and I am a really big fan of my avid series rod and the trout series rod is great too, I have a Pfluger President Supreme XT on one and a President XT on the other.