iceintheveins

Interference on My Helix 5 SI GPS

It looks like I have some interference on this unit. It's installed near the console. At the 2 to 5 foot depth level, I have a large right the left moving horizontal band, near the surface. It's not surface clutter, and my noise filter won't take care of it. It also appears on my down imaging, and on my side imaging though much more prominently on the left side. The power to the unit is hooked to a fuse box my dad and I installed near the cockpit/console of the boat. Ducer cable is routed through the boat on the starboard side, but it inevitably contacts other cables. The interference is there even if the motor is off and the master power switch is off. Having the trolling motor on or off doesn't affect it either. Any ideas on what to do?

Is it possible the transducer is seeing the lower unit of your motor? Raise the motor up and see if it goes away.

1 hour ago, Scott F said:

Is it possible the transducer is seeing the lower unit of your motor? Raise the motor up and see if it goes away.

It's not, it's out of the way of the motor. I have trimmed the motor way up and it's still there. Thanks for the idea though.

Screen shot might help. Also I don't like to run my depth finders through any switch. I run them straight to the battery and the positve gets an inline fuse.  

Does the band appear at deeper depths? I have the same unit and I don't get very good readings in less than 8ft but i don't remember any bands

1 hour ago, riverbasser said:

Screen shot might help. Also I don't like to run my depth finders through any switch. I run them straight to the battery and the positve gets an inline fuse.  

Does the band appear at deeper depths? I have the same unit and I don't get very good readings in less than 8ft but i don't remember any bands

No, no band at deeper depths. The band is always constant in the 2 to 5 foot range. I took a screen shot but it was too big of a file to post here.

Doesn’t appear to be interference if it’s only a band, more then likely surface clutter or defective TD.

Tom

My Lowrances do this in shallow water.  I think it is so much sound being reflected back in the shallow water.  That shallow all they are good for is keeping you from running aground.