keltonz

Drop shot with bobber stoppers?

Reading the article on "Finesse Baits for Pre-Spawn Bass," it mentions setting up a drop shot with bobber stoppers: "Arizona pro Gary Senft rigs his drop-shot hooks on the line using bobber stoppers, making the leader adjustable."

I haven't tried it, but I would think that they would slip and you couldn't get a hookset, or give way too much play, or just slide to the weight and push the weight off? What am I missing?

10 minutes ago, keltonz said:

Reading the article on "Finesse Baits for Pre-Spawn Bass," it mentions setting up a drop shot with bobber stoppers: "Arizona pro Gary Senft rigs his drop-shot hooks on the line using bobber stoppers, making the leader adjustable."

I haven't tried it, but I would think that they would slip and you couldn't get a hookset, or give way too much play, or just slide to the weight and push the weight off? What am I missing?

I've commented on this in several threads.

You'll get a lot of "why" and "it doesn't make sense" replies,

but it does work very well so long as you use a light wire 

hook for easy penetration into the bass's mouth.

I use this method, also learned from Gary Senft, on most of

my drop shot rigs. I've caught a lot of bass and saltwater 

species with no losses. It really works well for me.

You have to use the right stops. There are colors indicating 

larger line use. I use black stoppers and bought a couple

packs of these off Amazon.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.9ace7368addbfbab17dabf6cfd5e53a1.jpg

• Like 1

This topic comes up every so often.  I think @Darren. might do this?  I don't have any confidence in it, and haven't tried it.  I do it the traditional way, as detailed here: http://www.richz.com/fishing/blog/?page_id=552

He beat me to it!

• Like 1

Using bobber stops was used very early in the drop shot rigging out west when anglers used a stacking rig. Stacking is something that you don't read about often, it's using 2 or 3 drop shot hooks and soft plastics in lieu of 1 hook. 

To prevent loosing the weight you tie a single over hand knot on the end of the line about 1/2", the knot stops the weight from pull off.

Some anglers use a finesse jig instead of a weight and use bobber stops to adjust the hook distance.

Bass fishing is about tinkering with rigs and lures, try it!

Tom

• Like 1

I think @Darren.does this more often than other since I see his comments on this a lot.

I did it a few time, first time I didn't have bobber stopper so I used Carolina rig keeper. I caught catfish on that rig and of course the hook slide down to where your weight at. last year I tried it again this time with 6th sense peg(get a pretty good review to hold strong) again the hook slide down to weight but not interfere when I set hook at all.

The reason for me to try this rig, because I always have tag end pretty shot around 6" - 12", most of the time, when I caught fish the line from tag-end wrap around plastic and damage it or I have to spend another 5 mins to un tangle or cut the line and re-tie.

• Like 1