WRangler506

St Croix vs Fenwick Rod for crankbaits and spinnerbait

Which rod would work best for fishing squarebills and medium diving crankbaits?

Im looking at the Premier, Avid and Elite Techs. Im leaning towards a Medium power, and mod fast if I can find one, otherwise moderate action.

I may throw a few deep diving cranks and heavier spinnerbaits, but most of the time I would use it for shallow/medium diving cranks.

Id consider the E6X also, but Im more familiar with the Fenwick and St croix rods being I have spinning rods of each.

Ive noticed in spinning rods in the St croix line, the higher the model, the stiffer the equivalent power fishes. I that true with the casting models also?

How does the Fenwick power compare to the st croix?

I'm using very different rods for the baits you mention.

1. For squarebills and traps, I prefer a faster action, medium power rod.  I'm looking to make short, accurate casts to cover items like wood, docks, and weeds.  I want to be able to back off quickly If I hit something with a squarebill, or snap the rod sharply if a trap hits a weed. Slower or moderate action rods don't do this well.

2. Shallow, mid, deep, super deep all work great with a moderate taper rod.  It's all in the way a bait deflects of bottom of other objects, and a slower action seems to be the best for that.

3. Spinnerbait? Complete 180° from this.  They have a big, single hook, and you want at least a fast and prefereably an X-fast taper to quickly get into the power section of the rod to drive that hook home.

Here's my typical list for these:

1. LTBC70MF

2. AVC70MM or AVC70MHM depending on the size of the bait

3. AVC68MXF

Luckily, 1 and 3 do A LOT of other things well, so they aren't all that specialized.

• Like 1

In my experience, the Premier rods are under-rated for power.  The medium-heavy power Premier I bought fished more like other brands' heavy rods.  I think there are other rods in the price range that are a better value than the Premier series.

Tight lines,

Bob

Fenwick and St Croix both fish on the heavy side, which I personally like. I would let the weight of the lure and the type of cover you fish on a regular basis dictate the power choice. Action depends on your preference but I would opt for at least a moderate fast - fast action. 

The St. Croix Mojo Bass Spinnerbait rod is one of the best rods to fish both spinnerbaits and crankbaits with. It's medium heavy so it has some reserve power for fishing a spinnerbait, and the tip is moderate fast so it has some play for a crankbait as well. I would suggest using some mono line for added stretch but it should not be a bad rod to fish squarebills in grass or deep divers in particular. I would say it's really geared towards 3/8oz and 1/2oz spinnerbaits and not the larger ones.

No idea how the Premier 7' MH/MF compares though.

Thanks for all the info. I see the point about the spinnerbaits. I have a spinning ETB 70MF I can use for that, or that and jigs on my AxidX 68MXF. Was currently using the 68MXF for walleye jigging and jerkbaits.

I was just looking forward to trying a baitcasting softer slower rod for medium and heavier stuff that I dont like throwing with my spinning rods. Maybe Ill start with a 70 MM, for the shallow and medium cranks, and see how I like it. I can always add a MH M or MH F baitcasting setup later as well.

• Like 1