bassinyea

Dobyns 736CB Glass Opinions

I was thinking about buying this rod to throw deep crankbaits like a DT20 and 6xd for summer ledge fishing.  The boat I fish on is not conducive to 8 foot rods or I would get the McAbee 8 ft cranking rod.  If anyone has this rod can you please give me an idea on how it would work for deep cranking duties?  I already have a dedicated squarebill to mid crank setup.

Thanks.

It will handle the two baits you mention. But I would want something a hair longer, like at least a 7'6". 

If you asked this question 5 years ago when 7' rods were considered long and DD22's the popular deep divers, the replies would be different. Bass haven't changed, you can cast big cranks over 50 yards with the Dobyns 7'3" heavy power glass crankbait rod, good choice.

Tom

PS, Berkley Dredger 20.5 & 25.5 get down deep without much effort.

That's the chatterbait rod right? I just got the 735cb glass, and it's kind of fast for throwing cranks. It'd be a decent squarebill and spinnerbait rod though. I'd look at the 765cb glass or not, it's a good cranking rod.

1 hour ago, Beboson said:

Better for DT20 and 6xd buy the Dobyns 806 Glass. Increíble rod for this deep crank.

Try reading the op's post, he doesn't want 8' rods.

Tom

• Like 1