I recently bought my wife her first baitcasting setup. Ended up getting a good deal where you bought an Abu Garcia Revo S 4th gen and got a Veritas 3.0 rod for free. I went with the 7'3" Heavy/Fast model as she would like to throw heavier top water lures like the Whopper Plopper 130, Spro Rat and maybe some glide baits like the S-Waver 168 etc. and maybe some frogs...stuff like that. I thought she'd need a pretty stout rod for that so i got the Heavy Fast which is rated 3/8oz. to 1-1/2oz. Now some others are saying that rod is more than a broomstick and closer to steel. They're saying with a Veritas you don't want over a MH and that despite being listed as 3/8oz. to 1oz. you could easily throw the Whopper Plopper 130, S-Waver 168 etc. without worry. I would like some more opinions and ideally first hand experience before i contact the vendor and ask if i could swap the Heavy rod for the Medium Heavy rod.

So what's her opinion of the rod? Is it too stout for her? Does it not throw the lures you want to throw well? 

If the power is too high for her, and you just got it recently (Dicks?), you have at least 30 days to exchange it.

3 minutes ago, Junger said:

So what's her opinion of the rod? Is it too stout for her? Does it not throw the lures you want to throw well? 

If the power is too high for her, and you just got it recently (Dicks?), you have at least 30 days to exchange it.

Nope, she hasn't even used it yet. I did not get it at Dick's, bought it from another online retailer out of Kentucky. If she uses it I'm quite sure the retailer would not take it back but being unused there's a chance.

12 minutes ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Nope, she hasn't even used it yet. I did not get it at Dick's, bought it from another online retailer out of Kentucky. If she uses it I'm quite sure the retailer would not take it back but being unused there's a chance.

Ah I see. Well, another option is, if she doesn't like it and you don't have a flipping rod, you could probably use that 7'3H as one. I can't specifically opine on the Veritas, but that's what I did with a Tatula 7'4H that was a little too stout for what I wanted to throw.

2 minutes ago, Junger said:

Ah I see. Well, another option is, if she doesn't like it and you don't have a flipping rod, you could probably use that 7'3H as one. I can't specifically opine on the Veritas, but that's what I did with a Tatula 7'4H that was a little too stout for what I wanted to throw.

Nah, I have a flippin' heavy rod already...really wanted something for her to allow her to throw the bigger baits.

All Abu Garcia rods especially the Veritas lines are very under rated. Med feels like a Mh, MH like a HVY. The rod you purchased will feel more like a XH rod great for punching thick stuff. It may be too stout for the Whooper Plopper and S-Waver.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chance_Taker4 said:

All Abu Garcia rods especially the Veritas lines are very under rated. Med feels like a Mh, MH like a HVY. The rod you purchased will feel more like a XH rod great for punching thick stuff. It may be too stout for the Whooper Plopper and S-Waver.

What would you recommend for the WP130 and S-waver 168?

Push the tip against the carpet and decide for yourself.  I'm guessing it hasn't been delivered yet?  The Veritas rods are historically pretty stout.  May not be that way with the 3.0.  I'd just wait and see.

13 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Push the tip against the carpet and decide for yourself.  I'm guessing it hasn't been delivered yet?  The Veritas rods are historically pretty stout.  May not be that way with the 3.0.  I'd just wait and see.

I have received it. I did a tip test last night and it's definitely much stiffer than my Dobyn's Fury 734c or even the Lightning Rod Shock MH that I compared it to.

1 hour ago, Brett's_daddy said:

What would you recommend for the WP130 and S-waver 168?

I use the 2 different rods one is 7'4" *** ($100). Its the original ***. If you can stand the bright green blank its a great rod. The other is the Daiwa Tatula Eilte (non AGS)($180) 6'9" Hvy Montgomery rod. I do have a Kistler Magnesium 2 ($220) 7'3" Heavy Mod that I have tossed the Whopper Plopper 130 with and its great but I wouldn't throw an S-Waver 168 with it.

EDIT: I'll send ya message.

The replacement rod would HAVE to be a Veritas model as that is the only rod included in the package deal promo that this particular vendor is running.

If you have a rocky to semi rocky bottom lake you could use the stiffness of that rod to your advantage throwing a Biffle Bug / Swing Jig setup ... Great deflection that way .