I purchased a 1985 Smoker Craft Big Fisherman 14' with a 1978 Sea Lion trailer and 25 hp Johnson outboard all for only $300. Boat doesn't have any wood in it and I am planning to fix it up. This time around I will be investing more money and time into the process. This means that I will be using better materials and doing thing correctly. I started by registering the trailer and boat in PA (where I live). Then i began to take the boat apart and clean it up. i emplaning to use 3/4" plywood that is sealed, not pressure treated, as my casting deck. It will extend from the front of the boat to the end of the last bench seat. I will add several hatches for storage. 

I have already run in to several issues. I need a sheet of 5' x 12' x 3/4" plywood to complete the casting deck, which i realize will be very hard to find a sheet that big. Also, the trailer is in pretty rough shape and will likely need replacement. I don't know how to make a support system in the front of the boat because there is no bench to support my weight.I also want to put a 112 lb thrust Minn Kota Terrova on the front of the boat with an MKA-21 Quick Release Bracket. I don't know how i am going to store 3 batteries in the back of my boat. I Want to make a platform that looks like this one:

014_zpsmfyd9h2j.jpg

This is what I would like the boat to end up like, with only a few changes, such as a hidden mount for seats, longer casting deck, and more hatches for more storage:ea3e0e978b098ea7e859c5554ce0d173.jpg

If you have questions or advice, please comment hear or send me a PM and I will email you with better pictures (can't figure out image posting here). I will keep editing this thread along the way.

112lb trolling motor in a 14' boat.  Hmmm, ok... That boat would be plenty fine with a 70lb if you really want anything over 12v.  Even a 55lb 12v trolling motor would pull that thing around the lake pretty well...  As for the deck, I wouldn't extend it all the way to the back seat.  I'd do it just like the one you have pictured.  If you extend it all the way to the back seat you won't have anywhere to sit when you are running the "big" motor.

Food for thought Quarry man. If you add in three large heavy batteries. A large deck, Trolling motor, couple of six gallon gas tanks,  couple of large guys, cooler, loads of fishing tackle, etc.

You might find that you have exceeded the boat's weight carrying capacity. it will ride low and slow and be dangerous in choppy water conditions. I do like how the one in the pictures is set up with the additional mounting plates for seating changes while running.

FM

You really don't need a trolling that big. Is there a reason you want one that size?

39 minutes ago, Fishingmickey said:

Food for thought Quarry man. If you add in three large heavy batteries. A large deck, Trolling motor, couple of six gallon gas tanks,  couple of large guys, cooler, loads of fishing tackle, etc.

You might find that you have exceeded the boat's weight carrying capacity. it will ride low and slow and be dangerous in choppy water conditions. I do like how the one in the pictures is set up with the additional mounting plates for seating changes while running.

FM

You are right, that would be a lot of weight. I didn't explain my situation clearly. I mostly fish smaller and electric only lakes, so i have little need for an outboard. This is also because I didn't have an outboard, and couldn't fish bigger lakes. I have a 55 lb Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 that is on my current boat. using the bracket, I could switch out the 112 lb Minn Kota Terrova for the Powerdrive when i am using the outboard and save some weight. When fishing electric only lakes, I could just use the Terrova. I also weigh 150lbs.

40 minutes ago, jbmaine said:

You really don't need a trolling that big. Is there a reason you want one that size?

Sorry that I forgot to explain this. I fish electric only lakes most of the time.