I have used spinning reels most of my life, but now that I am becoming more serious about fishing I have started using baitcasters. 

The first rod I bought was a Dobyns Fury 703. I love the rod, but it is a little lighter than I was planning, so now I want something I bit more solid. 

With this rod I plan to do mostly heavier jigging (3/8 -1oz), Maybe throw some deeper cranks (10-15 feet) and possibly throw some top-water. Is there a rod in the $100-$150 range that you guys would recommend? Basically looking for a versatile rod that I can use for multiple techniques that will be a little stiffer? than the Fury 703.

Been looking at Dobyns Fury, St. Croix Bass x, Denali Kovert, and a few others. 

Gonna be tough to find a rod that can do all that honestly.  I own a Bass X 7'4" med/heavy and it is a very versatile rod.  IMO, it has a unique action that allows it to do many things well.

25 ft. Crankbait?  If you mean I 10XD, I wouldn't recommend throwing a 2 ounce lure on it.  A Berkley Dredger would be fine though.

As for jigs, I've thrown plenty of 3/8 and half ounce jigs on this rod and it does well. There are more sensitive rods of course, but not necessarily as versitile. It does have a moderate fast tip, which some don't prefer for bottom contact lures, but I do.  I like a spinner bait type rod for jigs and IMO that is what St. Croix had in mind with this rod.  

Never tried it for lighter top water lures other than buzz baits.  It may not be ideal for lighter stuff like 1/4 ounce poppers and such.

I think a rod that’s good for jigs and frogging May be too stiff for deep diving cranks. If you want a good jig and frog rod though, look at the Powell Endurance Rods. They have a couple of heavy rods at 7’3 that I think would work well

I guess my post was a little misleading. I am pretty knew to technique specific rods. I usually just had a few rods that I used for everything. I don't often use deep diving cranks and just threw out random numbers based off the lake I fish most often lol. 

In all honesty I am just looking for a versatile rod that can handle some heavier jigs, but work well with cranks (maybe 10-15feet?) and some top water.  I think I will use my Fury for chadderbaits, spinners, light jigs, etc. 

I used my Fury all last week on a fishing trip and caught a lot of bass jigging with 1/2oz jigs, but I felt the rod was a little too light and could use a heavier rod. (if that makes sense) 

Makes sense to me.  :teeth:  If you like the Fury, then maybe the 7'3" Heavy or the same rod in the Sierra line.  I've no experience with either.  Just spouting out recommendations that get made here all the time.  :D

You might want to look at a Tatula 7'2" MHR.  I love my Tatula rods.  I haven't tried jigs on my 7'2" MHR, but I think it has plenty of power to set hooks on 3/8 and 1/2 oz. jigs.  The Tatula rods are pretty light.  Like 4 oz.  I also have the MR and MLR.  Great rods for the money, AFAIC.

• Like 2

I also have the 7'2" Tatula MH.  It is good for a lot of things and quite sensitive but IMO 1/2 jig plus a trailer is as heavy as I does well with.  Anything over that and it starts to feel a smidge over powered.

St Croix MH-F rod. Pick your line up. I have the Avid X and absolutely love it. I throw 1/2 oz jigs plus creature baits weighing about another 1/2 oz and it handles it with ease. Rated for 3/8-1oz. Use it for senko, weighted Texas rigged worms, jigs, frogs, Texas rigged creatures, etc. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LCG said:

St Croix MH-F rod. Pick your line up. I have the Avid X and absolutely love it. I throw 1/2 oz jigs plus creature baits weighing about another 1/2 oz and it handles it with ease. Rated for 3/8-1oz. Use it for senko, weighted Texas rigged worms, jigs, frogs, Texas rigged creatures, etc. 

Agree with this!

You own 1 Dobyns rod why not give Gary a call and ask him what he recommends.

FR735 should meet most of your goals.

Tom

I'm just a dumb Cajun but a crankbait rod & a jig rod shouldn't be the same!

Two dedicated rods every angler should own is a Jig rod & a Texas Rig rod.

You could get by with a crankbait/spinnerbait/traps rod

• Like 1