Okay, getting ready to swap my wife's rod that i had got her during a promotional sale after many people tell me that the 7'3" Heavy/Fast casting rod i got her was just an absolute steel rod and she'd be better off with a lighter power model since Abu Garcia's...especially the Veritas line...are really underrated (i.e.- a MH fishes like a H and a H would fish like an XH). So, I've narrowed it down to two models: 7'1" MH/Moderate Fast or the 7'3" MH/Fast. Which of these rods would be the better all-around rod for throwing larger baits like the Whopper Plopper 130, Spro Rat, small swimbaits/glide baits (S-Waver 168) etc. under 2oz.? I'm getting ready to ship out her other rod for swap today so I'd really like all the advice I can get before 4pm when UPS picks up!

I clearly haven't been paying much attention...didn't even know there was a Veritas 3.0. 

I agree that my MHF 2.0 seemed a bit 'stouter' than other brands...however, I have no idea if the 3.0 continues in that sense.  7'3 MHF sounds like it should be a killer all-around rod.

I'm leaning towards the MH/F but if a strong enough case for the MH/MF can be made I'd be open to that as well.

Anyone have other thoughts on this?

Maybe too late at this point, but I like a more moderate-fast action for ploppers etc. 

30 minutes ago, snake95 said:

Maybe too late at this point, but I like a more moderate-fast action for ploppers etc. 

Nope, not too late. They should get the rod I sent back today and i expect a call asking what model rod I would like in return. What about glide baits like the S-Waver?

3 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

What about glide baits like the S-Waver?

That's beyond my experience, but personally I prefer a little more moderate tip for things like the rats or whopper plopper.

48 minutes ago, snake95 said:

That's beyond my experience, but personally I prefer a little more moderate tip for things like the rats or whopper plopper.

Yup, they just called and I decided on the 7'1" MH/MF for my wife. She has some trouble on hook-sets anyway so figured the moderate fast might be a little more forgiving for her.

• Like 1

Should be a good choice, especially for baits with treble hooks.  I switched to MF rod for cranks/traps and I noticed an increase in landing rate.