TBAG

Just got two new to me Avid rods, help with reel and lure choice

I'm slowly upgrading my gear as I've been doing a lot more kayak fishing over the past few months. I'm a self proclaimed St. Croix fan boy and just bought two used Avid rods. These will be fished 95% from my kayak, mostly streams and small ponds/lakes hence my preference for the shorter 6'6" length. I'm trying to take a maximum of 4 combos on the yak each trip. So, please help in my reel and lure selection. I already have a dedicated crankbait rod/reel setup and a dedicated ned rig, drop shot spinning combo. Both Shimano reels, Curado K for crankbait and Nasci 2500 spinning. Here is what I considered throwing on these two new Avid rods, let me know what you might do different. My question about the reel is should I spend the extra money on the Curado 201K or will I be happy with a lesser Shimano or Daiwa reel? I've never owned or even tried a Daiwa reel, always had Shimanos but I have an open mind after hearing and reading so many good things about them. Anyways, thanks for any suggestions or help, it feels great getting back into fishing after a small break, even though my wallet disagrees.

Avid C66MHF- Jigs, Texas Rigs

(7.4:1 reel)

Avid C66MF- Treble hook topwaters, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, whopper plopper 90/110, jerkbaits

(8.5:1 reel)

If you haven't used them yet, I think you will really like the Avid rods.  As for a reel, I haven't used a Curado K yet, but loved my E and Scorpion reels.  Hard to go wrong with a Curado.  That said, I would highly recommend you take a look at the Daiwa Tatula reels.  I think you can buy the Tatula SV for about the same price as a Curado K, or maybe just a bit more.  I have really grown to like the Daiwa SV reels.  You can also find the non-SV Tatula CT for a bit under $100 if you are patient.  Great reel for that money.

• Like 1

I also kayak fish and generally take 4, sometimes 5, rods.

Nice thing about kayak fishing is that I get to fish lots of different waters, so the Bait Monkey is still cool with me.....since I need to have 12-14 rods in the car  --just so I'm prepared for any type of water I happen upon

I'm joking...but not really :) I would not be at all surprised if I didn't take the exact same four or five on any two of my last 15 outings.

I'm on the Daiwa side of the Shimano/Daiwa fence, so I can't comment about Curados.  I'd be real surprised if you end up disappointed in any of the top brand reels that MSRP at or above $150.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveT63 said:

If you haven't used them yet, I think you will really like the Avid rods.  As for a reel, I haven't used a Curado K yet, but loved my E and Scorpion reels.  Hard to go wrong with a Curado.  That said, I would highly recommend you take a look at the Daiwa Tatula reels.  I think you can buy the Tatula SV for about the same price as a Curado K, or maybe just a bit more.  I have really grown to like the Daiwa SV reels.  You can also find the non-SV Tatula CT for a bit under $100 if you are patient.  Great reel for that money.

Yeah, I've owned some Avid rods before, great rods and I got a deal I couldn't pass up on these. Just needed the cork cleaned a bit and good as new. I'm eyeing the SV just because I've never tried one.