EGbassing

Berkeley Lightning Shock rod

I think I'm going to get a medium power Berkley lightning shock rod for crankbaits, jerkbaits, lipless crankbaits, etc. soon. Should I do it? Is it a good rod?

6 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

I think I'm going to get a medium power Berkley lightning shock rod for crankbaits, jerkbaits, lipless crankbaits, etc. soon. Should I do it? Is it a good rod?

I bought a ligtning rod, it was a spinning rod and about after a month of use the rod broke. I would spend the extra money (if you have it) to get a Fenwick Hmg-$100 I have the Fenwick Hmg it is a great rod. Most likely though Berkley has fixed the issue since I bought the last generation of the rod.

• Thanks 1

A good, less expensive rod.  IMHO, one of the best deals going.  Certainly the best at that price point.  I love mine, and I have much more expensive rods.

Do you have an Academy nearby? They have a few different H2O express rods around that price point that are pretty nice. I have one that I love, and use a lot. I have much more expensive rods but none that are better for tossing weightless and wacky rigged senkos. 

It’s a good rod for the applications that you mentioned.

I just checked them out recently at the store, seems like a good rod for the money. If I had a extra reel laying around I would try it or just wanted to add a spare rod without spending allot I don’t see we’re you could go wrong. 

It's a solid choice. It's inexpensive in comparison to many types of bass-specific rod, so don't go out expecting it to perform like an NRX or Legend Elite, but as far as reliability and functionality, you can't be blamed for taking a second look at it.

I have one, in Medium, set up with a 1000 sized Pfleuger reel and 6lb fluoro as my sort of "ultralight" bass fishing setup. It's fun to fish with and I've never once had a quality or build issue. It's performed for me 5+ year with great function.