Cahoots5150

Lighter line on heavy rod?

I bought a new swimbait rod yesterday. It’s line rating is 20-40lb. I’m out of 20 right now, so I went ahead and spooled pline Cxx 15lb test. Is that a bad idea? Will it cause the line to stretch more, or will it damage it?

I would say no problem at all.  No effect on the line.  You must be getting ready to fish some really heavy swimbaits.

Compare 15lb cxx to 20-25lb invizx or sunline sniper. Roughly similar diameters. Btw 15-17lb cxx is the same diameter so the difference in 15 and 20 is minute

• Like 1

@OnthePotomac Yes sir! The trout they stock the lakes here are relatively big 2-4 pound range so I try to match the hatch as best as I can with good success.

4 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Compare 15lb cxx to 20-25lb invizx or sunline sniper. Roughly similar diameters. Btw 15-17lb cxx is the same diameter so the difference in 15 and 20 is minute

Thanks for the info!

15 lb P-Line CXX is .0157 D, 17 lb is .0161D, very close but not the same.

I use Sunline Defier Armillo Nylon line 25 lb is .015D for all my swimbaits to 7 oz. on XHeavy swimbait rods.

Tom

PS, the difference between 20 lb and 25 lbs is 25%, not insignificant.

7 hours ago, WRB said:

15 lb P-Line CXX is .0157 D, 17 lb is .0161D, very close but not the same.

tacklewarehouse must be wrong then. That's where I got my info from. To say that 15 and 17 were the same. They list 15 as .016 and 17 as .016 for the p-line cxx crystal clear, which is what I use amd have experience with. 

8 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

tacklewarehouse must be wrong then. That's where I got my info from. To say that 15 and 17 were the same. They list 15 as .016 and 17 as .016 for the p-line cxx crystal clear, which is what I use amd have experience with. 

They also list the 15 as 40mm and 17 as 41mm, and when you convert the mm to inches TW round off to nearest 3 place decimal. Why would anyone offer the same line in 2 different pound test? Or why would anyone use 15 lb CXX may be another question.

Tom