ratherbfishin1

Cocoplum waterway (9 mile canal)???

Anybody fished Cocoplum waterway in North Port/Port Charlotte area?  Moving extremely close this summer (right on one of the branching canals) and just wanted to see if any of you guys had any experience with it.  I'm super excited because I've heard it's pretty good but just wanted to see if anyone here has had any personal experience with it.  Thanks!

Where are you coming from? If from up north you may be disappointed in the freshwater opportunities. I have not fished there but know what you are referring to. A friend of mine has fished there and has caught bass up to 5lb.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don51 said:

Where are you coming from? If from up north you may be disappointed in the freshwater opportunities. I have not fished there but know what you are referring to. A friend of mine has fished there and has caught bass up to 5lb.

I am coming from Nebraska so I was thinking it would be better than where I fish now...  I have seen many people fishing it while I was there but I fly down so I never have a rod with me to try it out.  We are moving onto a canal that is connected to it and is pretty private so I am thinking there will be less pressure, one of the neighbors said he fishes it and catches some really nice bass and showed me with his hands but you never know if it's just a "fish story"...

You will catch fish! Will you have a boat or a kayak? Makes a big difference.

• Like 1

I've fished 9 mile off and on for over 30 yrs and yes, there are fish there.

There's so much more development now than what there were years ago, it's hard to find a spot to fish from the banks. 

There are a few dam's you can walk across and fish from and at a few intersections where you can walk down to the water. 

The farther south you go toward Yorkshire Blvd the less pressure there is compared to the north end in the City of North Port. 

Mike

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Don51 said:

You will catch fish! Will you have a boat or a kayak? Makes a big difference.

Yep! First thing I plan to buy when I get there is a little Jon boat!  I am in high school so I will probably get an older Jon boat off craigslist and put a deck up front with a somewhat nicer/newer foot controlled trolling motor.  I like the idea of only a trolling motor because if I am correct it is no wake and I being in high school don't have a lot of money for maintenance on an outboard. Do you think that will be enough?

Yes, should work nicely. 👍

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, ratherbfishin1 said:

Anybody fished Cocoplum waterway in North Port/Port Charlotte area?  Moving extremely close this summer (right on one of the branching canals) and just wanted to see if any of you guys had any experience with it.  I'm super excited because I've heard it's pretty good but just wanted to see if anyone here has had any personal experience with it.  Thanks!

I been fishing Nine mile since i was a kid. Great place that holds lot of big bass. Just have to put in work. 

• Like 2