Jump to content
kenmitch

Abu Garcia C3-6500 good enough for swimbaits? Bought the C4-5600 in the end.

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for a reel for throwing swimbaits currently. I'm pairing it with a Dobysn 795SB rod that I've already purchased. I don't really plan on throwing anything heavier than the rod is rated for anyways. Probably mostly in the mid rating of the rod for the most part.

 

I'm on a budget and looking at reels currently. Was leaning towards the Cardiff but can get a really good deal on the Abu currently.

 

Would the Abu Garcia C3-6500 be a good choice?

 

I can get a smoking deal on the Abu currently. Figure it'll only cost me $25 out of pocket after a multi discount, gift card deal going on today.

 

Any downside to the reel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kenmitch said:

I'm looking for a reel for throwing swimbaits currently. I'm pairing it with a Dobysn 795SB rod that I've already purchased. I don't really plan on throwing anything heavier than the rod is rated for anyways. Probably mostly in the mid rating of the rod for the most part.

 

I'm on a budget and looking at reels currently. Was leaning towards the Cardiff but can get a really good deal on the Abu currently.

 

Would the Abu Garcia C3-6500 be a good choice?

 

I can get a smoking deal on the Abu currently. Figure it'll only cost me $25 out of pocket after a multi discount, gift card deal going on today.

 

Any downside to the reel?

The reel will cast and handle swimbaits and other large baits fine, but the ergonomics will be annoying and/or you'll have to adjust how you hold the rod because of it's width.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kenmitch said:

Any downside to the reel?

It's size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you get the same deal on a 5500? The frame size is easier to deal with compared to 6500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, georgeyew said:

Can you get the same deal on a 5500? The frame size is easier to deal with compared to 6500.

This^^ Also, invest in a bigger crank handle to lessen the strain on your hand. Hawg Tech handles are popular. 

 

rs.php?path=HTHW-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.

 

Im looking into the 5500 also. Think its just a couple bucks more.

 

I mainly throw lipless baits. Swimbait will be limited use and not thrown too much. Just want to try something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J Francho said:

It's size.

 Just make sure the worm gear is lubed, and don't make long casts right away...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wound up getting the C4 5600 instead. After discounts it cost me $35 in the end  before the $8 eBay bucks earned.

 

I had saved up $45 in bestbuy rewards that I used to purchase Ebay $50 gift card is why price was so low in the end.

 

Puts my swimbait combo at $113 shipped.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Big Rick said:

This^^ Also, invest in a bigger crank handle to lessen the strain on your hand. Hawg Tech handles are popular. 

 

rs.php?path=HTHW-1.jpg

 

I'm looking at alternative handles. The one above is nice but looks to be somewhat pricey.

 

Anybody try out or use the Abu Garcia power handle? 

 

I went with the C4-5600 instead of the C3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have one with my 6500c3, I use the reel for inshore fishing, but I loan my friend to use for his big swimbait for a whole season. He didn’t complain anything. If you want I can pair with my 5600 so you can compare the size.

28EB3C51-42A7-42EF-B844-6A203424322C.jpeg.fe8ff27fc39d7897529444bd953761aa.jpeg

*add* amazon sell it pretty cheap, I think you should get one and try out, no bent handle btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 10:32 AM, JustJames said:

I do have one with my 6500c3, I use the reel for inshore fishing, but I loan my friend to use for his big swimbait for a whole season. He didn’t complain anything. If you want I can pair with my 5600 so you can compare the size.

28EB3C51-42A7-42EF-B844-6A203424322C.jpeg.fe8ff27fc39d7897529444bd953761aa.jpeg

*add* amazon sell it pretty cheap, I think you should get one and try out, no bent handle btw.

I ordered the Abu one in silver from Amazon to try out. I figured it might come in handy if I decide to target the monster carp in my local lake if I dont like it for swimbaits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×