michaelsrex

Another pitching rod thread

Looking for pitching stick. I think the 7'5- - 7'6 range works best since I'm don't think I'll be doing much flipping. I'd be throwing 1/2 and higher jigs and other creature baits. I recently purchased a ALX zolo brawler used on ebay for $140 that showed up with the pvc kinked and the rod snapped. I am sending it back for a refund but the seller only had one. I'd like to stay out of the price range of the Conquests, NRX, Xtasy and the likes. I am looking more around the mid 300s down to 200. One key thing that I like is a decent handle under my foarm. One of my black muse rods said it had a 15 3/4 handle on tacklewarehouse and that the alx brawler only had a 15 1/4 handle. When meausing them side the rod but end was the same length. I wonder if tacklewarehouse handle lengths are accurate. Either way I like that longer handle. 

Options 

Expride 7'6 Heavy

ALX ZOLO Dragger or Brawler(would their smaller guides be an issue for braid to leader?) 

St. Croix Legand tournament 7'5 moderate pitching rod (anybody have one of these?)

Dobyns Extreme? I'm not thrilled with the sensitivity of my 742sf.(still a great rod) 

I use a slightly custom ALX Dragger for pitching.  Love it.  Brawler would be excellent as well.  I use 50lb braid to 20 lb mono leader with an FG knot and guides are cleared no problem at all.  About half the time you will notice a slight, slight tick, but only if you are trying to notice it.

I'm pretty obsessive about trivial stuff like this and it is so slight that it doesn't bother me at all.

To me, the St. Croix handle is a tad short but that's totally a preference kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

I use a slightly custom ALX Dragger for pitching.  Love it.  Brawler would be excellent as well.  I use 50lb braid to 20 lb mono leader with an FG knot and guides are cleared no problem at all.  About half the time you will notice a slight, slight tick, but only if you are trying to notice it.

I'm pretty obsessive about trivial stuff like this and it is so slight that it doesn't bother me at all.

To me, the St. Croix handle is a tad short but that's totally a preference kind of thing.

Tacklewarehouse shows handle length on the dagger and Bralwer and 15 inches and the 7'5 " St croix legand T pitching rod at 16inches. Do you ever wish the dragged was a heavier power? Just would be deciding between the two. Have you used the Bralwer? 

11 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Okay so I just measured my 7'6 *** handle that is claimed on tacklewarehouse to be 15 3/4 and it's 11 5/8. Maybe they are different measurements but what I care about is from where your hand is to the butt. Brawler measures just under at 15 1/2 and according to st croix actually handle pictures their 7'5 legend pitching rod is 11 1/2. Confusing 

2 hours ago, michaelsrex said:

Tacklewarehouse shows handle length on the dagger and Bralwer and 15 inches and the 7'5 " St croix legand T pitching rod at 16inches. Do you ever wish the dragged was a heavier power? Just would be deciding between the two. Have you used the Bralwer? 

Okay so I just measured my 7'6 *** handle that is claimed on tacklewarehouse to be 15 3/4 and it's 11 5/8. Maybe they are different measurements but what I care about is from where your hand is to the butt. Brawler measures just under at 15 1/2 and according to st croix actually handle pictures their 7'5 legend pitching rod is 11 1/2. Confusing 

I must have been thinking about their 7'4" med-heavy.  It looks like their 7'5" pitching rod does have a fairly long handle (which I prefer for pitching).

I have never found myself wishing the dragger was more stout.  In fact I'd be fine if it were a smidge less so.  It's got plenty of power for pitching into timber and such.  

I've never fished the Brawler but have handled them many times.  This may sound a little nuts but to me the Brawler seems to have a bit more give than the Dragger, and if memory serves the Brawler is rated as extra heavy.  Go figure.

Anyway, the Dragger acts as the heavier of my two rods that I mainly pitch jigs and plastics with and to me it's pretty dialed for the purpose.  It's not a pool cue, but feels plenty beefy and is about as stout as I could imagine needing.

If you could go and handle them both it'd be a good idea,  even if it means making a drive. 

P.S.  I don't even pay attention to handle length listing on tacke warehouse.  They include the length of the fore grip which makes it kind of tough to tell. 

I just bought a Dobyns Extreme DX795C.  I haven't used this rod yet so can't provide personal feedback - based my buy decision on Utube, Dobyns, WiredToFish, etc web-site reviews.  Has a full grip cork handle, is very light, sensitive and can easily handle 0.5 to 1.75 oz rigs (rated from 0.25 to 2.0 oz).  Is known for providing one of the best single flipping/pitching rod choices for handling both light/medium and heavy cover scenarios.  Retails for $359 but can be found "used" in very good condition for much less. 

15 hours ago, jbrew73 said:

This is how tw measures them. 

947735E0-B9CD-46E4-A778-21144EE18083.jpeg

Thanks.  Interesting.  And useful. 

I'd MUCH rather know the distance between the back (or middle?) of the reel seat and the butt cap.  Overall handle length means little to me if you don't know where the reel sits.

• Like 1