pauldconyers

Looking for a rod to jig and hollow body frog with

Looking for a rod that could handle both jig fishing and hollow body topwater frogs and need a recommendation. I just ordered the Dobyns Fury 705CB rod. It hasn't arrive yet so I probably would try it out a bit but if I may be looking at another Dobyns. Due to my budget I probably would stay with the Fury line. If I did would the 735C be the one to go with? Obviously it is a 7'3" and I was thinking of something maybe a bit longer like a 7'6" but I guess this would work fine. Got something else I should look at?

I have a 735 fury for these exact purposes and I haven’t went frogging since I bought it, but I did throw one in the yard and it did well. As for jig fishing I’ve pitched jigs to cover and threw a football jig and it’s been great 

4 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

Sierra 735. On sale for $120 at tackle warehouse for the price of the Fury.

Isn't this sale about to come to an end? I hadn't looked at the Sierra line yet, is THAT the obvious model choice in that line for what I'm talking about?

6 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

Sierra 735. On sale for $120 at tackle warehouse for the price of the Fury.

Isn't this sale about to come to an end? I hadn't looked at the Sierra line yet, is THAT the obvious model choice in that line for what I'm talking about?

8 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

It ends in 2 days, if you're throwing frogs and jigs then the 735 will be your best bet. 

6 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

It ends in 2 days, if you're throwing frogs and jigs then the 735 will be your best bet. 

What other applications/baits would work well with that rod? 

52 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

What other applications/baits would work well with that rod? 

Pitching, flipping, and smaller swimbaits. 

Is the Sierra 735 made in both the micro and regular guides? If so if I'd be flipping soft plastics and jigs, frogging and swim baits with it (probably on straight braid) which would I want? Does it come with both choices of a split and regular handle?

I would go to T/W & see what they have left.

55 minutes ago, scbassin said:

I would go to T/W & see what they have left.

If all are available do the guides matter in this situation? Normally I like a split grip but never having a jig/frog rod is there an reason I should go with the full cork instead?

1 hour ago, pauldconyers said:

If all are available do the guides matter in this situation? Normally I like a split grip but never having a jig/frog rod is there an reason I should go with the full cork instead?

Neither will make a difference, if you like split grip then use split grip.  If you plan on using a leader than go with standard guides.

Megabass Perfect Pitch is a super versatile stick.  There is a new Levante coming out soon with a Perfect Pitch in the lineup.  A guy on another forum has been fishing the prototype Levante Perfect Pitch and says it is great for frogs.  I've got an older Orochi xx Perfect Pitch and it is a great bottom contact and frog rod.  

This may be a little unconventional due to rod length but recently decided for the upcoming season I'll dedicate my 6'8 Mojo Bass MH/F to frogs and jigs, spooled with braid (never tried braid yet). The Mojo Bass is a nicely sensitive blank, so that combined with braid I'm hoping it'll be sensitive enough for deeper water jigs on the bottom, plus strong enough for frogs in pads. Just another rod to consider.