Bassman_55

From Shore to the Water: Looking for Advice on What Boat Make Sense

Good Morning All,

First time poster, but a longtime reader of the forums here. Not trying to rekindle yet another boat debate, but really wanted to seek some good advice on what boat make sense for finally moving off the shoreline. I recently purchased a home in northwest CT (Litchfield County) which is scattered with smaller lakes (2-500 acres), a couple medium sized lakes (1000-acres), resevoirs and the Housatonic River. 

I've been fishing the shoreline for years in Upstate NY, and have been in v-bottom jons the majority of times I've been out. After hours reading through posts here, I've been leaning towards a kayak (Nucanoe Frontier 12), but also looking at a flat bottom Jon (Lowe 1240), or even one of the smaller Gheenoes with the below in mind:

- Looking to be able to transport in the bed of my '98 F150 6.5-foot bed. For now, can't have a trailer;

- Would like to have the option to attach a trolling motor (transom or bow). Don't feel I'll need gas with the smaller bodies of water I'll fish;

- Primarily fish alone. There may be some times where I have someone with me, but the majority of time I'll be solo;

Would appreciate any thoughts on what route might be best. Trying to keep things around $2,500. I check Craigslist and ads up here, but there's unfortunately not all that much in the NE. 

Thanks a lot. 

A moderate length canoe with a square stern for a TM. Bed extender on the truck to take that to 10.5'. That's how I transported it this past year in my '01 Extended Cab Silverado with a 6.5' bed.

This is my canoe, though this year I did buy a trailer (need to assemble yet) and it's in the midst of modifications.

14' Sun Dolphin Scout SS, changed the mid and rear seats out (need to paint the wood yet) and added outriggers for stability.

20190103_135759-1.jpg.df461fb1e767a19e01912eca3046b96e.jpg

Including the TM, battery, battery box and all the mods and trailer, it's still under $2000.

• Like 2

Nice rig, I'm sure it's stable with the outriggers. Assume you prefer the true canoe to the kayak? 

5 minutes ago, Bassman_55 said:

Assume you prefer the true canoe to the kayak? 

At my age and with my knees, getting in and out of a kayak is a non-starter.

Also, you said that occasionally you'd have someone with you, so a kayak won't do for that either. Put a 'stadium seat' on the front, molded plastic one and you're good to go with a co-angler.

Will you want to fish when there is thin ice at the ramp? In that case may want to go with an aluminum jonboat. If not then a kayak or better yet one of the pond prowler style boats. I love my BassBaby with the built in wheels. 

I'm trying to decide what to buy too. A fishing kayak with pedals costs more that a tricked out 14' aluminum boat, or jon boat. Yaks are cool, but I'd like to be able to move around a little I think. But a yak would be easier to carry and launch.

I think I'd rather be comfortable and able to easily handle rougher waters, so I'll probably do the boat. Maybe a cheap paddle kayak too :)

Important: I've never tried a kayak. Hard to decide without a little experience. Rent one if you can. Might love it, might hate it.