Jump to content
EGbassing

New Pflueger Trion not spinning very much

Recommended Posts

Just picked up a Pflueger Trion 20 for my ultralight combo and when I spin the reel handle really hard it rotates maybe 1 time after that and then slows to a stop really fast. I can also hear a really faint grinding sound when I spin it. Does it sound like I got a faulty reel, or is it not greased well, or is it supposed to do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did that test with my Trion-30. I get about 9-10 rotations of the handle and a slight whirring sound from the rotator.

 

If you're getting grinding, I think you got a faulty one - return it for replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MN Fisher said:

I just did that test with my Trion-30. I get about 9-10 rotations of the handle and a slight whirring sound from the rotator.

 

If you're getting grinding, I think you got a faulty one - return it for replacement.

I don't know if I would describe it as a grinding. It's really faint but it's not completely silent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EGbassing said:

I don't know if I would describe it as a grinding. It's really faint but it's not completely silent.

Does it sound like a 'woosh-woosh'?

 

Despite the sound, you should get much more than one handle rotation from a good 'toss' of it.

 

Try a good cleaning - maybe the gear-grease is a little gunked up. If that doesn't fix the low-rotation issue...then it's a bad reel and need to be traded in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MN Fisher said:

Does it sound like a 'woosh-woosh'?

 

Despite the sound, you should get much more than one handle rotation from a good 'toss' of it.

 

Try a good cleaning - maybe the gear-grease is a little gunked up. If that doesn't fix the low-rotation issue...then it's a bad reel and need to be traded in.

I don't think so. I tried spinning it again and this time I got about four rotations from a good spin; I guess I didn't spin it very hard earlier. Do you think it could be because it's such a small reel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EGbassing said:

I don't think so. I tried spinning it again and this time I got about four rotations from a good spin; I guess I didn't spin it very hard earlier. Do you think it could be because it's such a small reel?

4 spins is a lot better than 1. It might just need to be loosened up by use. I got mine last year and it's got a good 50 casts/retrieves on it as it's my light crank/jerk reel (3/8 oz and under).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

4 spins is a lot better than 1. It might just need to be loosened up by use. I got mine last year and it's got a good 50 casts/retrieves on it as it's my light crank/jerk reel (3/8 oz and under).

Problem with returning it is that it had that awful plastic packaging that you have to tear up to get the reel out; I foolishly used a pocket knife instead of scissors so it's even worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EGbassing said:

Problem with returning it is that it had that awful plastic packaging that you have to tear up to get the reel out; I foolishly used a pocket knife instead of scissors so it's even worse. 

Eeww - I never buy reels in bubble-plastic...always boxed.

 

If it's in the timeline of the store's return policy...they should still take it back if it's not functioning properly - they'll get their money (or an exchange) from the distributor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree if you hear grinding, return it...but it's probably just a little tight and needs some use to loosen up. They pack a lot of grease in them from the factory. I just got a Trion 25 and felt very smooth, but not much more than 1-2 revolutions out of the box when spinning...after being delivered and sitting on my front porch half a day in Chicago in February...after warming it up and playing with it a bit, it feels good...4-5 turns on the spin and will loosen up more as I fish and the grease is distributed around the reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, humbleangler said:

I agree if you hear grinding, return it...but it's probably just a little tight and needs some use to loosen up. They pack a lot of grease in them from the factory. I just got a Trion 25 and felt very smooth, but not much more than 1-2 revolutions out of the box when spinning...after being delivered and sitting on my front porch half a day in Chicago in February...after warming it up and playing with it a bit, it feels good...4-5 turns on the spin and will loosen up more as I fish and the grease is distributed around the reel. 

I returned it. I think I'll be getting a new one soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long a handle or spool spins means next to nothing. If the reel functions properly during regular fishing motions it’s fine. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×