fishraptor

Suggestions A- rig Rod (first time Umbrella)

I am fairly new to the boat Bass fishing with just a few years experience.  A presentation I have not used/tried would be the A-rig, umbrella.  I did get some suggestions on A-rig baits with Yum Flash Mob Jr. w/silver willow and Yums matching trailers & jig heads in both 1/8 & 1/4 oz. Bought 2 complete sets of those.   The other brand  recommended was Shane so probably get a pair of those also, staying on the 5 bait small side.  I have 3 poles which are in the "neighborhood" of possibly getting the job done but need to hear back if they are appropriate. A fishing buddy advised he was told that a rod needs to be more of the medium/heavy , long 7'er as a heavy or ext/heavy would be to stiff and possibly pull hooks out.  The three rods I have and their current "jobs" are listed but need to know if any of them will "double up" as an A-rig rod so I don't have to purchase another. 

Dobyns DC 736 SH 7'3", 15-30lb, 3/8-2oz., Hvy / Ex Fast Action (This is my dedicated froggin rod and I absolutely LOVE IT) Match w/Daiwa SVTW/Steez 7.1 Ratio w/40# Suffix 832 braid)

Daiwa Steez STZ/741xHFBA-XDB 7'4", 1/2-2oz, 55-80braid, Extra Heavy (This was purchased as my "back up" frog rod but the Dobyns 736 listed above cannot be improved upon, that combo is beyond perfect.  So this Steez rod became my flippin/pitchin as it is a tad stiffer anyway so makes a more appropriate for that job in the thick mats.  (Paired with Daiwa SV TW/Steez 7.1 reel w/40# Suffix 832 braid)

Dobyns DC 806 CB 8', 10-20lb, 1/2-2oz., Heavy, Mod/Fast Action "Mag Cranker" (This is my dedicated big cranking rod w/30# Suffix 832 braid) w/Abu Garcia Revo Winch 5.4 ratio.

I was guessing that the last rod above (806 CB) 8'er might get the job done as doubling up for an A-rig umbrella rod as it has the mod/fast action which would be a tad more forgiving regarding "pulling 

hooks" that my friend cautioned me about, plus the large handle Revo winch 5.4 ratio would make cranking that A-rig in much easier.  Plus the long 8 footer might help lob that A-rig out. The only problem I see is it currently has 30# Suffix 832 braid on it as you need thinner line to get those big deep divers down as that is it's current job, but for throwing A-rigs I am guessing the 30# might be too light, but not sure on this ?? 

Any opinions would be appreciated. 

If, by some reason none of the 3 rods listed above will fit the bill for umbrella rigging please feel free to suggest any really nice rods. 

If it were me I'd go the 806 and spool it with different line. I dont believe there is really a time when you need to throw deep divers and a-rigs. So in the late fall-early spring keep 50lb braid or 20lb mono on it and in the late spring-Early fall spool back up with 30lb braid

On 2/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, CroakHunter said:

If it were me I'd go the 806 and spool it with different line. I dont believe there is really a time when you need to throw deep divers and a-rigs. So in the late fall-early spring keep 50lb braid or 20lb mono on it and in the late spring-Early fall spool back up with 30lb braid

I've done a little research in the last few day and I agree with you "CroakHunter"......  I think the 806 will work just fine with a line change. 

Thanks,