Hi guys, per my last post, i was dead set on taking the plunge and purchasing an NRX 852S JWR. That wasn't until a couple coworkers of mine try to convince me to get the 802S size instead, so back to the drawing board i went lol. I primarily fish from the bank but I'm looking into getting a kayak this summer (my cowrkers mentioned that the 852 would be far too long in a kayak).

I was wondering if any of you are willing to share experience you have between the 852 and 802 in terms of performance between the two?

I've always thought that the longer the rod the better, however a shorter rod might be ideal if i begin kayaking this summer? 

I have fished both rods. The 802S is more limiting on what you can fish with it. Only rated for 1/4oz. It is a good choice but I would go with the 852S hands down. Length wise is not that noticeable for kayak fishing. 7'-1" out of a kayak is no problem for me.

5 hours ago, thunderblack said:

I have fished both rods. The 802S is more limiting on what you can fish with it. Only rated for 1/4oz. It is a good choice but I would go with the 852S hands down. Length wise is not that noticeable for kayak fishing. 7'-1" out of a kayak is no problem for me.

Okay perfect, that was my main concern. I have never fished in a kayak before and was worried that the extra length would be a problem. Thanks for the help!

All my kayak rods are 6'8" or shorter but over the winter I've purchased several longer rods. IMX pro's, 853c, 854c, Dobyns 702s and 734c. I'm hoping the longer rods won't bother me much.

• Like 1