wasabi_VA

How to fish this Rapala X-Rap propbait?

I found a 4.5” Rapala propbait someone else lost, it’s in good shape so i’ll keep it and try to catch something with it. This one has a propeller at each end so is this a stickbait that I give short erratic jerks or am I supposed to keep it moving so the propellers create an attraction?

C07AAF01-2A34-4DC9-A8D9-27810E214267.jpeg

Rip-pause retrieve, varying the length of the rips and the pauses.  Work it with the rod tip, reeling the slack. Good post-spawn presentation.

This is actually in my wheelhouse. I love prop baits and the XRAP Prop has replaced the devils horse for me. The double prop bait and prop baits in general work really well in Florida and did in NY as well when younger, and I fish them several ways.

Roland Martin just did a video on pattern fishing and he spends a good 5 minutes on prop baits and he had a devils horse and xrap tied on...The one thing he mentioned that I have also found to be true is having some orange on the belly in the spring often makes a big difference.

Most people will tell you to cast it out, let rings disipate, then try to keep it in place..Barely let the blades move. Work it super slow since you are typically target casting. The longer it stays in one spot with tiny twitches and pauses, the more likely you will get a strike. However, I always experiment and will usually fish it like a buzzbait after cast is done back to the boat or bank and sometimes you will get a strike just as you pull it out of the watter cause they love to follow prop baits for some reason.

I start out slow, then will fish it like a popper, 3 twitches and pause, then maybe reel slow, pause, rip it, pause...Can't really fish it wrong, let them tell you what they want. You can make the bait walk if you leave slack in the line as well. Overall...Slow tends to be best, but like anything else, sometimes they like it fast, when you get that high pitch buzzing sound that sounds like a bee, that is often the speed that gets bit when buzzing it.

Its a fantastic lure that is proven. It also catches bigger fish. There is a guide on Lake Harris in Florida who has articles online who literally only fishes a Devils horse year round and wins tournaments with it, and catches giants. 

I like the X Rap prop better than the devils horse because it casts better, and also the blades rotate differently, so you have the best one imo.

Keep throwing it. You won't regret it. One of best topwater lures you can fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1