waymont

Setup for 1oz Savage Gear Glide Swimmer

Hello

I was given two 1oz Savage Gear Glide Swimmers this winter and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a rig to throw them on.

I have these rods to use: Mag Heavy 735 Dobyns, 6'8" Medium Heavy St Croix LTB, and a Heavy 7' 704 Dobyns.

I was planning on using 20lb copolymer line.

A spinnerbait type rod will work fine. 15lb test would be the heaviest line I'd use though.

• Like 1

Yeah? Only 15lb line?

1oz isn't really heavy, and you want a nice gliding action out of the bait. 20lb has quite a bit of memory typically and when you pause the bait, the line is going to effect what the bait does at rest. A limp 15lb will allow it to sit and fall horizontally, a 20lb test with memory is going to try to coil up and pull your bait along and not let it reach it's full potential on each glide. You could easily drop down to 12lb if you wanted if you're fishing clear water. You're not going to be fishing it around really heavy cover unless you like hanging up a lot, so a lighter line isn't an issue and gets better action out of the bait. It's kind of like fishing a big jerkbait really. 

• Like 2