WRangler506

What rod to buy more versatile than my LTB 63mxf?

I have 2 st croix legend tournament walleye rods, 63 MLXF and MXF. I really onkyuse these for river jigging a couple outings each spring. If I were to replace them w an equivalent quality rod, what would you pick and still be able to river jig with 3/8 and 5/8 oz vertical jigs? I was think maybe swapping the MXF for a LTB 7ft MF. Just run braid for vertical in the spring? Maybe vertical is less fun w a longer rod, but I Just want to get more use from these LTBs.

Otherwise, what other smallmouth and walleye techniques would you do with the 63 rods? 

I'd keep the MXF and put it on double duty with smaller topwaters and jerkbaits.  Looking up the ML, it's only rated up to 3/8oz anyway, so the MXF would seem to be more suited for jigging with those weights, I would think.

You want shorter rod generally for vertical stuff, no? 

6 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

You want shorter rod generally for vertical stuff, no? 

That's what people say, so that what I bought 2 years ago. They work well once you get used to a short rod, plus xf, plus braid. I know a 66 or 70MLF and 7MF would be more versatile, just not sure they would be as good or for for jigging then.

For vertical jigging walleye my 6’6 medium fast avid, 10# braid, 6’ leader with a 1/4oz jig was a great set up for me.