WRangler506

Which mojo or premier to buy?

I have a bunch of rods already, but need to send back an old broken premier. I get a credit towards retail price on a new rod. Trying to go cheap since I don't really need any rods, I have some avids and legends already. What rods stand out as good models to try in these lines?

Was thinking a mojo casting 71mhf for jigs and spinnerbait, or a premier crankbait MM rod? 

Or skip it and just get another avid?

I really like my 7mhf premiers.  I primarily use them for big spinner baits and #6 in line spinners for pike.  I also really like the 66mf spinning premiers for wacky rigs and other plastics.

I never found a mojo I liked enough to buy.  I also recommend the eyecon rods if you need a finesse rig.

I have the 71mh/f.  Use it primarily for spinnerbaits. I like it. Fast action premiers always felt clumsy to me. I need 2-pc rods so I can transport securely, or I'd be all over that 7' mh/mf.  That rod is outstanding to me.     jj

20 minutes ago, jimmyjoe said:

I have the 71mh/f.  Use it primarily for spinnerbaits. I like it. Fast action premiers always felt clumsy to me. I need 2-pc rods so I can transport securely, or I'd be all over that 7' mh/mf.  That rod is outstanding to me.     jj

What do you mean by "clumsy."

4 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

What do you mean by "clumsy."

I don't know how to explain "clumsy" other than "clumsy". I can't think of another word. Maybe kinda heavy and dead-ish-in-the-hand at the same time. I have Avids, so the comparison might explain a little. It's almost as if I have to push the Premiers but the Avids move themselves. Like I said, I can't think of another word......        jj

32 minutes ago, jimmyjoe said:

I don't know how to explain "clumsy" other than "clumsy". I can't think of another word. Maybe kinda heavy and dead-ish-in-the-hand at the same time. I have Avids, so the comparison might explain a little. It's almost as if I have to push the Premiers but the Avids move themselves. Like I said, I can't think of another word......        jj

I did handle a couple premier casting rods at bass pro yesterday and the solid cork handle did feel a bit bigger than the other rods, its the diameter of the full cork. Maybe thats where it comes from.

That 71MHF sure feels decent to me, and Im not a fan of MH rods since I dont normally need them. Im trying to outfit something a bit heavier than my normal Medium rods so I dont have to shy away from weeds and some cover anymore. Being the Mojo is one of the cheaper good rods, Id rather not break the bank on a MH rod in case I dont wind up fishing it much. I plan to use 40lb braid and a 10-15 lb FC leader for starters.

If I fish this way a lot Ill add to it and get the 734C finally....

There is a 7 “foot mojo for Spinnerbaits and 7’1”dock sniper and a 7” Mhf called the jig and baits. All of them are outstanding blanks for the price...might I suggest ritual fishing R-1 composite  or the St Croix mojo glass.  And instead of any avid  wud look at the Kistler Argon  Rods that are coming out...

1 hour ago, WRangler506 said:

I did handle a couple premier casting rods at bass pro yesterday and the solid cork handle did feel a bit bigger than the other rods, its the diameter of the full cork. Maybe thats where it comes from.

Maybe. All my rods are 2-pc, though. That might or might not have something to do with it. But 2 people I know have Premier 1-pc rods, both spinning and casting, and I feel the same difference. The comparison isn't totally fair, though, because St. Croix makes the Avid casting rods in 1-pc only, no 2-pc. 

Oddly enough, the Premier moderate-action rods feel totally different.

I don't know what kind of weeds you have, but one of my friends got a Mojo for Christmas. It's the 7' H/F called "Dock Sniper". It's still winter here, and I can't tell for sure, but I think that might be one of the better weed rods I've ever seen. It feels a lot better (more agile) than the Premier 7' H/F. And it costs less. Imagine that.  😉    jj

Ooops ... I see I got beat to the punch on the Dock Sniper.  😕   jj

Edited by jimmyjoe

I would take the Mojo, the newest generation (third) is built on the SCIII blank, same blank as the avids. Obviously there's a little more tech in the avids, but it is still the same blank. I've heard good reviews of the third gen mojos. 

1 hour ago, BigBass'n_Harrison said:

I would take the Mojo, the newest generation (third) is built on the SCIII blank, same blank as the avids. Obviously there's a little more tech in the avids, but it is still the same blank. I've heard good reviews of the third gen mojos. 

Yeah I think it's worth a try, the mhf seems to be well liked, so I may try that for getting into some weeds and grass areas, and at least some 1/2 oz spinnerbaits and jigs.

• Like 1