Caleb Y

Richmond VA Fishing

Looking for new ponds or bodies of water near Richmond VA either for bank fishing or kayak fishing. I have fished some ponds in Powhatan, Byrd park, and some in northern chesterfield. Ive had good luck, but nothing too memorable. But thats normal pond fishing for you. Looking for something that is either easily accessible on foot around the perimeter or something that has a decent spot to launch a kayak.

4 hours ago, Caleb Y said:

Looking for new ponds or bodies of water near Richmond VA either for bank fishing or kayak fishing. I have fished some ponds in Powhatan, Byrd park, and some in northern chesterfield. Ive had good luck, but nothing too memorable. But thats normal pond fishing for you. Looking for something that is either easily accessible on foot around the perimeter or something that has a decent spot to launch a kayak.

Amelia Wildlife Area

Briery Creek Lake (near Farmville - yes it's a haul but some say the biggest bass come from here)

Echo Lake Park (Walk around/no boats)

Hanover Courthouse (county soccer field complex on Rt 1/doubt you can put a yak in here)

James River (I hear Pony Pasture past the last rocks is good for yaks)

Lake Chesdin

Lakeview (Colonial Heights)

Powhatan Lake

Stony Point Shopping Center (Huguenot and Forest Hill.  The pond is behind the shopping center).

Swift Creek Lake (Pocahontas State Park)

Swift Creek Reservoir

There's a discussion of some local ponds here: 

Welcome aboard, Caleb! Lots of folks here fish the Richmond area,

and, as seen above ^^^, the advice will start pouring in :) .

just pull up the VDGIF and have a gander...there are a lot of kayak friendly lakes within an hours drive.  I don't do much bank walking these days though so can't help there.  

Welcome, Caleb. Glad you are with us.

Please introduce yourself in the introduction section of the Forum.

Rsmall has given you some great suggestions. Don't forget Watkins Landing where you can launch your kayak without any problems and the fishing in the area is excellent. The ramp is off Route 711 (Robious Road) down to the river on Watkins Landing Road. Look it up in your WAZE program or on the Internet to find it.

Be sure to let us know how you do and take pics of your catches.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, RSmall said:

Amelia Wildlife Area

Briery Creek Lake (near Farmville - yes it's a haul but some say the biggest bass come from here)

Echo Lake Park (Walk around/no boats)

Hanover Courthouse (county soccer field complex on Rt 1/doubt you can put a yak in here)

James River (I hear Pony Pasture past the last rocks is good for yaks)

Lake Chesdin

Lakeview (Colonial Heights)

Powhatan Lake

Stony Point Shopping Center (Huguenot and Forest Hill.  The pond is behind the shopping center).

Swift Creek Lake (Pocahontas State Park)

Swift Creek Reservoir

There's a discussion of some local ponds here: 

Awesome info! Thanks, ill be sure to check them out.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, Sam said:

Welcome, Caleb. Glad you are with us.

Please introduce yourself in the introduction section of the Forum.

Rsmall has given you some great suggestions. Don't forget Watkins Landing where you can launch your kayak without any problems and the fishing in the area is excellent. The ramp is off Route 711 (Robious Road) down to the river on Watkins Landing Road. Look it up in your WAZE program or on the Internet to find it.

Be sure to let us know how you do and take pics of your catches.

Yeah I have fished Pony Pasture before and had some decent luck. Looking forward to the Striper coming up.