GCBrad

Reel Engage a bit too tight?

So I’ve noticed that when I go to turn the crank and re-engage the reel on my Abu Garcia Revo SX that it requires a good bit more pressure than my other Abu Garcia reels. Same thing with the thumb bar, this requires a good bit more pressure to click down as well. I’ve broken the entire reel down to the clutch mechanism for cleaning and oil/grease. I’m experienced doing this. But this has not solved this issue. Any ideas?  Other than this, everything works correctly. Thanks in advance. 

I'd look at making sure the surfaces of the thumb bar are properly lubricated. An that the springs that operate the thumb bar are in proper locations, and orientated correctly. 

8 minutes ago, FordsnFishin said:

I'd look at making sure the surfaces of the thumb bar are properly lubricated. An that the springs that operate the thumb bar are in proper locations, and orientated correctly. 

I made sure I oiled the places where the thumb bar comes into contact with the frame. Do you typically grease or oil these areas?

I always used grease in the past. Just recently I started to use a heavy weight 90-120 axle gear oil.

Inside the reel on both sides you'll see a slot that guides the thumb bar.  Get those,  then also where the clutch mechanism slides. 

I don't know if this helps, but some reels require more or less pressure than others. Is it really bad or just noticable?

2 hours ago, Glaucus said:

I don't know if this helps, but some reels require more or less pressure than others. Is it really bad or just noticable?

It's just noticeable, I took it apart again and made sure all clutch mechanisms where greased up.  Nothing is out of place.  It may just be this real requires more pressure.