TOXIC

My Day on the Potomac

Went out Saturday in less than perfect conditions.  Very windy, super high tide, muddy water and post frontal.  Our saying is that your not gonna catch anything from the couch, so off we went!!  Rumor had it that the largemouth were on wood but we didn't find that to be true.  All of our fish came from open areas of sand bottom.  I was totally surprised that we didn't catch any small bucks up shallow.  They should be in full spawn mode right now.  The big females I caught were still plump with eggs.  We launched from Hope Springs in Aquia Creek and worked about 1/2 the creek out to the main river.  We watched the mudline coming down the river from DC. Grass is very sparse.  Most productive lures for me was a 1/4oz shakeyhead with a 5" Pro Senko and a nose weighted 5" Senko.  The wind required a weighted presentation but I could toss a weightless Senko at times or in some coves.  Pics are of 2 of my better fish and a shot of just how high the tide was.

spring 19 2.jpg

spring 19 3.jpg

spring 19.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice fish! 

I yak fished Gunston Cove Saturday with over 40 others.  Just getting a 3 fish limit was a struggle for a lot of us.  I found very few places sheltered enough that I could present slowly on the bottom, so I tried to force them to eat moving baits most of the day.  In the end, all my fish came on Rage Tail Structure Bugs, despite trying to wear out my chatterbaits and lipless.  I didnt find any grass yet...and pad lines were nearly impossible to define until the tide dropped after noon.

20190420_132203_crop_943x576-471x288.jpg

• Like 1

I like to stay down South if possible but do run up North if that's where the bite is.  The wind was brutal at times.  Enough so that we didn't want to make the run from Aquia to Quantico Creek to look for grass.  When we saw the mud line from the mouth of Aquia, that sealed the deal.  We threw a lot of moving baits as well (chatterbait, rattletraps, Spinnerbaits) but they definitely wanted it slow and on the bottom.  The lack of grass in the traditional areas is very concerning but it seems like everything is behind schedule this year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys are ruining my day tomorrow(Tues).

?  Looks like it could be gusty tomorrow, too.  I tried hard to fish windy areas, but it wasn't worth it when they wanted it slow.   All depends on their moods tomorrow.   Hi tide mid-morning....warm temps -- could be a killer day.  Good luck.

I have the wind tomorrow nailed down.  5 knots until around 1500 then maybe picking up to 7-8knts.  I'll be back in by then.

Well, the only thing that went well for us was the wind, which did not kick up until 1400 or so.  I had my school teacher daughter with me and she loves the Chic, so off we went.  Arrived in the back to find five other boats and hauled water with them for about an hour.  We were all checking each other out, and we were all only hauling water, so one by one the crowd departed.  The water was 69 and not really muddy, but pretty dingy.  I threw everything on the deck and nada.  At noon we went to her second favorite place, the Mattawoman.  I peeled off on the way and in and we hit the cove on the right side where their is a ton of wood laying in the water and nada again.  Left there and went to Grinders to hit the big flat.  Tried everything again in the dingy water with the majority of time dragging plastics on the bottom.  No even a peck.  At 1400 we gave up and went in.  No grass anywhere.

• Sad 1