Sign in to follow this  
RWHusker.

Cleaning scum off of boat!

I have a 2 year old Stratos that is white. I cleaned and waxed it over the weekend and wasn't able to remove the layer of scum that had built up over the last year. Someone suggested acidtone (sp)?

I used Meginnis cleaner wax and a boating product but still have the scum.

Would appreciate some suggestions from the forum.

Thanks for you input in advance.

GO BIG RED!

i have a white flats boat and i used to use oxy, but then i found soft scrub with bleach. that stuff works great. it removes blood, rust, dirt, everything. i also use a stiff bristled boat brush. give it a shot.

Blast.jpg

The product that was referred to you is acetone. I use a clay bar on mine after washing with dish detergent to remove wax and it seems to work. I am not a professional detailer but that is what has worked for me. You can get one at any auto parts store where they sell car wash supplies. Just remember after you do the clay bar you have removed all of the contaminants but you have also removed all of your protectant. i.e wax so rewax when you are finished.

The most obvious way to remove foreign material from your hull would be to use any of the commercial hull cleaners available out there.

This product is available in Wal-Mart and works quite well: 81732-HullCleaner.jpg

There are even stronger hull cleaner materials out there and they can be gotten at any Boat US, West Marine, Bass Pro's, or Cabelas.

>

Sno-bowl is very inexpensive and is available at any super market. It is what I use and operate in a tough enviornment for tea staining and scum line. Give it a try. Just put some on a soft bristle brush, apply to the hull: let sit for a couple of minutes and hose off. It's that easy.

Both cleaners us an oxacylic acid to do the job. It is a mild acid with simple protective warnings in its use.