So I did something stupid and busted maybe 2 inches off the top of my 7 ft dobyns colt rod.  I think I can save it by putting a new tip top on it. It’s just going to go from a 7ft m/l to a 6’9 medium   What do I do about the line guide right below the break? Lesson learned.  Any other thoughts of wisdom? 

441FDA6D-D2C3-4163-A23F-86509A70FF2D.jpeg

Looks like more than two inches, but at any rate, if you re-tip it the action will slow and the lure weight needed to cast will go way up. It’ll be useless for anything I want a rod to do but you’ll have to make that call. 

• Like 1

Actually, dobyns will replace if it’s my fault for thirty bucks. I was just looking at the warranty section.  That’s a good deal.  

If you're not going warranty this can be repaired by doing an external sleeve, preferably from a scrap glass rod piece.

https://www.rodbuilding.org/library/repair-oquinn.html

Follow the directions-don't add an internal sleeve, just the external sleeve.  Rods fixed in this way are very close to the action/power that they were before repair.

Just replacing the tiptop, as mentioned above, is not an acceptable option.  You will not like the results.

2 hours ago, MickD said:

If you're not going warranty this can be repaired by doing an external sleeve, preferably from a scrap glass rod piece.

https://www.rodbuilding.org/library/repair-oquinn.html

Follow the directions-don't add an internal sleeve, just the external sleeve.  Rods fixed in this way are very close to the action/power that they were before repair.

Just replacing the tiptop, as mentioned above, is not an acceptable option.  You will not like the results.

I’m going warranty the rod but, what you have said will be good to know for the future 

After you get your replacement, send them the pic again and mention what a crap job their finishers do. My 11 year old grandson just finished his first rod, it was worlds better than that collection of football wraps.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:47 PM, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Looks like more than two inches, but at any rate, if you re-tip it the action will slow and the lure weight needed to cast will go way up. It’ll be useless for anything I want a rod to do but you’ll have to make that call. 

I always thought it would be the opposite with action ?

Nope. That misconception comes from confusing action with stiffness. Trimming a blank from either end results in a slower action. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

Nope. That misconception comes from confusing action with stiffness. Trimming a blank from either end results in a slower action. 

Can you explain how trimming length from the butt end would change a rod's action to one that is slower?  By slower I mean from a moderate fast to a moderate.  I also assumed that trimming from the tip down would cause an increase in the action of a rod based on you would be moving closer to the transition from action to power.  Can you please add to your thoughts.