Sign in to follow this  
SnowBass23

What is the best way to repair a tire hole, long term?

Hi all. The week before Memorial Day I took my boat out and the trailer picked up a nail, completely flattening the tire. I took it to a local tire shop and had them plug it. For a few days it seemed fine. Now, over the last 2 weeks I can tell it is slowly losing air.  

What is the best long term fix for the tire? The guy at the tire shop claimed the plug would fix it indefinately. I'll take it back to the tire shop today but wondered if there is something else I can do. Thanks for any info.

If a plug had to be used the hole is too large for a patch.  As stated, have someone else redo the plug.  Hopefully, it is just a poor plug job.  If it still loses air, you'll have to replace the tire.  

New tire they are cheap anyway.  Why risk it I am sure the boat is worth more then the cost of a tire.

Tom D.

take it and get it redone, if not fixed I would get  a new tire.

also did you use fix-a-flat in it? If you did get a new tire now.  a few years ago I was going on a long trip and  ran over some glass from a crash that had happen. well, as the trailer sat at camp for a week the tires went flat. there not being a tire store close by. I used fix-a-flat on them to get them useable again. well, about 200 miles into the trip home both tires exploded, yes not just blown, but exploded and ripped the fenders off the trailer

Take the tire to a shop or service station that will pull it off the rim and put a patch on the inside. If the puncture is in the tread this is the only good long term fix. If the whole is in the sidewall, it's time for a new tire.

Fix A Flat is nasty stuff!!!! Coming from a guy that used to work in a lawn and garden shopp we would put inner tubes in many a tires that people tried fix-a-flat on first. It's like scooping out cold wet white snot. If we found fix-a-flat in a tire it was an additional $10 because of the mess it would make.

On a side note the older fix-a-flat was VERY flammable, explosive under pressure. I knew a guy that owned a service shop and was repairing a tire that unknown to him had put fix a flat in. When he inserted the ream tool into the tire it must have caught a steel belt and caused a spark. The tire literally exploded in a fire ball right in front of him. Luckilly no one was hurt. That's why the can's now say NON-Flammable. Just thought I'd share.

Bill

After 2 weeks on the trailer, I am certain it is leaking air (albeit at a VERY slow rate).  I will see if I can get it to a better shop and have it patched from the inside (it took a screw through the very center of the tread).

I've been looking around for a spare tire as it didn't come with one.  I am still in the break-in period for the motor so I haven't gone far from home (the lake I fish mostly is less than 5 minutes and 5 miles from the drive-way!).  But, I certainly won't take it far without a spare.

The tires on it now are ST185/80D13 w/5 lugs. I just want a plain-Jane tire to have as a spare.  When I went into Wally and BPS the other day, all of the tires they had were marked differently and I couldn't find an employee with a clue what I was talking about.  

Thanks again for all the info!